Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Samsung L.e.d tv's, any good?
  • DarrenH

Hello guys,
    Anyone on here got one of them new fangled l.e.d flatscreens? (preferably a samsung)
    It looks like I'm going to be spending best part of a grand (cough!).
    So I'd like some opinions on them before I splash out.
    Cheers

v10
    Free Member

Picture is amazing.

Sound is woeful – needs to be hooked up to a external setup without question.

(8000 Series)

grumm
    Free Member

Have a look on avforums

dave_aber
    Free Member

Bear in mind that there are 2 types of LED backlighting.

The cheaper Samsungs have LEDs down the side, and project light across the screen then out the front using prisms

The top-end Samsung LED screens have a matrix of LEDs which shine out directly through the screen.

read all about it

Nainosliw
    Free Member

There are two sorts – one type where coloured LEDs make up the picture and another type where the LEDs are white and in front of them there's the conventional LC (that a 'Cee') D matrix. This second system means that the LCD panel doesn't need a backlight, so the contrast and the blacks are supposed to be better.

So make sure you know which type you're being offered and are happy with it.

dave_aber
    Free Member

That's plasma, not LCD or LED isn't it?

AFAIK, LCDs all work by blocking light of the required colour from a light source, be that tubes or LEDs – so on a black picture, they are working hard to block out all of the light. LED backlighting (not sidelighting) means that areas of the screen can have their backlighting off if required, improving black performance.

Plasma screens have pixels which create light of the required colour and intensity, so when black is required the pixel is off. This is why they are so much better at being black.

Nainosliw
    Free Member

Exactly Dave – you've got it. Two types of lEd teles – either a 'proper' LED where the light comes straight out from the LED, or a hybrid where a white but switchoffable LED backlights an LCD matrix.

dave_aber
    Free Member

So Plasma TVs are a type of LED TV?

Can't say I agree with that. Plasmas don't employ LEDs in the panel. As far as I am aware the only TVs being advertised as "LED TVs" are LCD TVs which use LEDs as backlighting or sidelighting.

I didn't think the intensity level of 'proper' coloured LEDs was variable enough to use as elements in a picture matrix.

No doubt I'll be proved wrong though….

adt
    Free Member

I have the Samsung 6000 series LED TV ,dont know much about them but it is an awsome television and only about 28mm thick ,PS3 and bluray really do it justice ,although do agree speakers are not brilliant

dave_aber
    Free Member

Should have mentioned that – all the LED backlit / sidelit TVs I have looked at recently in shops do seem to have absolutely stunning pictures.

will_of_fortune
    Free Member

dave_aber you're right, Plasma screens don't have LED's or any other backlight, they use cells containing gases which under an applied voltage turn into a plasma (hence the name) and emit photons which excite the phosphor lining on the back of each cell and produce a coloured light, either red, green or blue.

DarrenH

Thanks guys, I thought, sod it (after a bottle of red) and have ordered a 40" ue6000 samsung.
    I can put up with rubbish speakers as long as the picture is good, cheers adt!

DarrenH

Thanks guys, I thought, sod it (after a bottle of red) and have ordered a 40" ue6000 samsung.

DarrenH

nosherduke996
    Free Member

Great tv, i have had mine for 2 years now with no probs.Just connect everything up to surround sound and you wont be dissapointed.
    The picture in hd is awesome.

Haze

Ordered a Sony Bravia last week after mucho consideration.

Like the look of the Samsung, but the audio is apparently pants & the lack of DLNA put me off too.

andytherocketeer

Wish they wouldn't call them LED TVs, when in fact they are LED backlit LCD TVs.

If you can find an OLED TV for a grand, then I wanna know! (OLED is the future but there's only about 1 tiny TV that costs a fortune).

I nearly bought the Samsung UE6000, in fact ordered one, but they couldn't get it in stock. When they cancelled the order I bought a Panasonic non-LED backlit one, which imho actually has better picture, and more legacy SCART sockets (still need SCART for Sky box, Wii, etc. – Samsung would have meant a lot of SCART cable swapping). Oh and it has built-in digital Satellite, Cable and Terrestrial tuners 🙂 (plus legacy analogue)

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Well they look damn smart, in any case i wish i had the dosh for a 9000 series!

mrchrispy

hope you just ordered the 1 telly!
    🙂

timwillows
    Free Member

Like mine, nice picture tolerable sound lots of different ports

vrapan
    Free Member

Well they look damn smart, in any case i wish i had the dosh for a 9000 series!

Even if you did you will have to wait for them to come to the UK. Far as I remember the 8000 series were not widely available till a month or two ago and even now finding an 8000 Samsung requires some serious work as they sell 6000 and 7000 models predominantly.

I'd like one for my self thus the rant…

Susie
    Free Member

Like v10 says, fantastic picture but sound is terrible. After reading reviews on Amazon, we knew this, but other half said it didn't matter coz he would connect his Harmon Kardons up to it. TV arrived and there was no where to plug them in, thought we were going to have to spend a fortune on some digital speakers, but managed to find the right connectors to connect them to the PS3. Sound is still crap on TV, but we watch dvds and play games more than we watch tv.

DarrenH

Only the one tv! That's enough! 😆
    How does the sound quality compare to a normal lcd tv?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Samsung L.e.d tv's, any good?’ is closed to new replies.