Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Samsung Chromebook , Acer Chromebook anyone got either?
  • judy-rockshox
    Free Member

I’m thinking of buying one. Probably the Samsung so has anyone got any views on this please

tthew

Yep. Using one in a hotel on the free wifi as I type. Good as a second computer, but won’t fully replace a proper PC just yet. There was another thread about it a couple of months ago. Clicky.
    Mine’s got the 3G capability as well, which is handy when sometimes.

judy-rockshox
    Free Member

Thanks for that, Is yours the Samsung? I have a fairly good pc but can’t always be bothered to use it so this would be a 2nd pc for me as well as the smartphone. I went into Dixons today and they said that they didn’t have any Samsung Chromebooks because they had been recalled.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tthew

Yeah, mine’s the first generation Samsung. The newer ones have a different/slightly faster processor I think and a smaller battery. Don’t know anything about the Acer ones, but they are all about the OS/web rather than the machine itself, so I don’t think the make would make much odds.

There’s an official forum here that may have more info about the recall, I wasn’t aware of that.

falkirk-mark

Daughter wanted one and looked into it and discovered that it has no storage and this had to be bought, then thought why over a normal laptop and could not come up with an answer hence she is getting a laptop for christmas.

PePPeR

I got the missus a Samsung Ultrabook, light and fast, she likes it!

poonprice
    Free Member

Daughter wanted one and looked into it and discovered that it has no storage and this had to be bought, then thought why over a normal laptop and could not come up with an answer hence she is getting a laptop for christmas.

They have no storage because your mean’t to use online services like Google Drive, for local storage you can use memory sticks, plus they do have a little internal storage. Its a Cloud based device tho, so the idea is stuff doesn’t really leave the internet.

johnnystorm

The key here, especially for youngsters, or the less IT savvy is that in theory you are less susceptible to viruses. Particularly as kids love installing all sorts if crap on their PCs. Additionally, by storing stuff in the cloud, using something like Google Docs, you can’t forget to save it and if the device fails its still there. Also, if she is doing work for school it’ll be in a format that’s universal and can be accessed and edited at school without messing about withemailing/memory sticks, etc and keeping track of which is the latest version.

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve been using Google Drive through the Chrome browser more and more for work. Really impressed with it and it means I don’t have to remember to move files between work and home or mess about with remote access.

One fun thing is have a document up on my PC screen, then editing on my phone and watching the updates happen live. #easilyamused

More and more of what I’m doing uses free online apps, so that my students can work from home more easily. I’ve been using PicMonkey for simple image editing, rather than Fireworks or PhotoShop, for example.

jota180
    Free Member

How do you get on copying/cutting and pasting into a Google spreadsheet from other sources?
    I find it a nightmare TBH most times and inconsistent at best, will it paste? won’t it paste?

miketually
    Free Member

How do you get on copying/cutting and pasting into a Google spreadsheet from other sources?
    I find it a nightmare TBH most times and inconsistent at best, will it paste? won’t it paste?

Yeah, sometimes it works and sometimes is pastes as comma-separated text into the cell. At the start of the year, I was trying to set up my markbooks by copying and pasting from out web-based SharePoint portal, but I gave up and used Excel in the end. I’ve been regretting giving up ever since and keep wishing I could access my up-to-date markbook from home…

Might be best to get into the habit of exporting as CSV, then importing into Google?

tthew

About the storage issue, yeah, stuff is supposed to be stored in the cloud, but the chromebook itself has a 16gb solid state memory card in it, which is still loads for documents, pics etc.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Samsung Chromebook , Acer Chromebook anyone got either?’ is closed to new replies.