Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Same what new bike post, different day….
  • Waderider
    Free Member

Working on a short list for a new MTB. My last purchase, 5 years ago, was a Orange R8 that I custom built. It feels really dated now, 26 inch wheels and steel. Still good and part of my stable, but time to join the 21st century mtb wise.

Criteria is I want a modern future proof MTB. Changing wheel sizes and standards annoy and worry me. For example, no idea what the best bottom bracket standard is. Help?!

Anyhow, budget 2K, nearly certainly a 29er, I like carbon, could go hardtail or full suspension. I would like the quality to be in the frame, forks and wheels – brakes will likely be moved to the old bike and replaced with Hope, and I do a fair few miles so the drivetrain will be replaced quickly. Also, I can’t see what is wrong with 3×10! I would greatly prefer a triple chainset…..convince me I’m wrong?

After a bike with a cross country leaning. Currently in the frame:

Stumpjumper Comp Carbon
    Giant Anthem X 29er
    Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1
    Trek Superfly FS7
    Cannondale Rush 29er 1
    Whyte M109

Any comments or advice appreciated. Any other fast and light 29ers I should be looking at?

Ta.

Waderider
    Free Member

Bump.

I knew it was a boring, repetitive post. I just want someone to tell me what bike to get!

breadcrumb

For what it’s worth you can’t future proof a mountain bike and there’s nowt wrong with steel!

What do you use the bike for?

3×10 is okay for blasting down roads and on the tarmac but over geared for anything technical IMO.

Northwind

There’s nothing really wrong with 3×10- it’s just not often that useful, and robs you of a bunch of ground clearance. 2×10 covers so much of the range that unless you’re on the road a lot it’s unlikely to make much difference to you.

Of that list I’d have the Anthem X but I’ve not ridden all of them- I just like Anthems and they seem to be great value new just now.

Waderider
    Free Member

Cheers for the replys, I feel better now.

Off to look at Canyons, on the back of the other thread…..

wilko1999
    Free Member

Anthem 29ers are great. I had the 26er, it was fast and fun, I really miss it. The maestro suspension was brilliant in all situations. Rode an Anthem 29er and it felt even faster and funner. I’ll be getting one when I decide to change my Scandal 29er.

vondally
    Free Member

Rocky Mountain Element 29 or Instinct, some in your price range.

Having a 2 x 10 and a 1 x 10 I am back to 3 x 10, I just like gears and the range, 2 x 10 is okay and wide enough range for most things

6079smithw
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Superlight 29. This is STW afterall.
    Has a threaded BB

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Same what new bike post, different day….’ is closed to new replies.