• This topic has 36 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • same spec, 2 prices???
  • ton

identical spec bike build.
    2 shops.
    £400 difference………….like fred dinenage said………how?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

maybe one was priced by a girl

ton

😆 much

mk1fan
    Free Member

Not exactly hard to find out which one is right. Add up the cost of the parts.

nasher
    Free Member

Some shops give a discount for building the bike up, some also charge for the labour.

ton

i did.
    could it be that one is using o.e.m stuff or older stock.
    and the other is using new stuff.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Here's a thought. Why not ask them?

ton

mk1fan – Member
    Here's a thought. Why not ask them?

here's a thought, why bother posting if you are not interested…….. 8)

Mister-P
    Free Member

One has made a mistake? Although I think mk1fan probably has the easiest answer.

Mister-P
    Free Member

One is in the UK and the other is not?

sockpuppet

depends on the size of the budget too – £400 difference on a £800 build, or £400 difference on a £4000 build?

vinnyeh

One's not bothered about doing the job/supplying the build?

Is one (presumably the most expensive) charging you full retail for the prices according to your calcs?

Is it a high end job? If the build was 3k+ I could see there might be that variation, depending on the parts and where they're sourcing them from- at £1.5k or so I'd want to know the whys and wherefores- the discount sounds too good to be true. Might be built with parts stripped off a previous model etc.

Jenga
    Free Member

One of them must be 18 bikes. Why are you trying to cause trouble for them?

ton

not 18 bikes jenga….
    si at 18 bikes is the one offering the best spec, and he is also the one being the most helpfull.

nasher
    Free Member

Could be down to where partsa re sourced.

i.e a slx rear mech on CRC is cheaper than trade what bike shop get!

Jenga
    Free Member

Well why not buy from him? I fully expected he'd be offering the best price, but why try and cause trouble?

ton

jenga, in what way am i causing trouble???
    i am asking why a bike with the same spec would be differant price from 2 shops.
    and if the answer had been older stock, stock taken from a similar bike, that would have answered my question and would have be plausable.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I quite like looking at pictures of your new bikes, but I'm finding the build-up to this one rather stressful. 😀

Jenga
    Free Member

You've got a top class dealer giving you a good price for a bike. You've got another price for a supposedly identical bike that you don't like. Why do you need to have a discussion on here about it? Nobody here can tell you why shop #2 has priced their bike the way they have. Why not ask them? If they can't give you a decent answer you know where to spend your money. But if they will only agree to match 18 bikes the sensible thing to do is buy from 18. They gave you a good price without prompting, and they are top class guys. Why do you need our opinion, unless you've got some hidden agenda?

Rocketdog36
    Free Member

Err ones ripping you off maybe,
    go back to the other supplier and give them the chance
    to improve, if they match the other shop then go back to the first shop
    and ask for money off!
    You work hard for your money ( I assume) you are the guy with the cash, think what you
    could spend any saving you get on.

uplink
    Free Member

Play one off against the other

mk1fan
    Free Member

Again, why not ask them? You can be a real dick sometimes ton. You're asking us why someone else has done something we're not involved with.

It could be that one has a surplus of stock they're willing to sell at cost. It could be one has a discount scale in place. It could be that one has made a mistake – be it maths or component. It could be that one was given a wrong price by their supplier. It could be one of them is being evil and trying to rip you off to further their plans of world domination.

Honestly, why is your first choice to resolve this query is with a third party and not with those providing the prices?

ton

come on jenga, this is a mountainbike forum………..no
    and the advice from some of the guys on here is worth listening to.

MrSmith
    Free Member

are you one of Hora's troll aliases?

vinnyeh

With mk1fan here. If I had a bikeshop I'd probably ban you. Or start deliberately overcharging you when you asked for a price. 😕

scruff
    Free Member

I'd charge you extra for being a racist.

njee20
    Free Member

Seeing as some factory built bikes vary by £400 depending where you look why's it so surprising that two custom built ones do?

Just ask them if you want to know/give them a chance to come down, otherwise go with the cheaper quote. You are coming across as a bit of a cock!

ton

what the **** has this got to do with me being a cock…..
    i asked a simple question, if you do not have a answer **** off elsewhere…….. 8)

Mister-P
    Free Member

Do you have the answer Ton?

ianv
    Free Member

Maybe one is more concerned about the sale than another
    Maybe one has been priced by someone who has no authority to offer discounts
    Maybe one is prepared to do you a favour
    Prices vary, businesses have different margin expectations, its not rocket science!

ton

Mister P – Member
    Do you have the answer Ton?

i do indeed.
    the cheaper one is splitting another bike to use the stuff off that to build what i specced.
    he has just phoned to tell me so.
    and the dearer one is using new stock.

sorted.
    thanks for you help……….or not in some cases. 🙄 8)

dasnut
    Free Member

lol @

where are they? certainly this thread is evidence to the contrary?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Well wasn't that a load of fuss over nothing then 🙄

Jamie
    Free Member

I'm assuming Ton is just bored and had the choice of a specious bike pricing thread or another one on nutting someone.

Guess he went for the former. 😉

Jenga
    Free Member

'm assuming Ton is just bored and had the choice of a specious bike pricing thread or another one on nutting someone.

Guess he went for the former.

Think he got pretty close to the latter.

if you do not have a answer **** off elsewhere……..

ton

dasnut – Member
    lol @

where are they? certainly this thread is evidence to the contrary?

some good advice on other threads…..about riding after having broken bones, and what gear for the alps….i always giggle at those threads.. 8)

hora
    Free Member

£400 goes towards a nice holiday in the Alps in my book.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘same spec, 2 prices???’ is closed to new replies.