Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 390 total)
  • Same old Tories…
  • Solo
    Free Member

Economics is voodoo bullshit to me mostly anyway.

Which pretty much sums up the left, when it comes to money and managing the UK economy, as far as any Government can.

What I’m also sensing on this thread is that the leftites really just hate those who have. Over whelmed by jealousy, the leftites exercise a predujice and disrimination towards anyone who has anything they think those people shouldn’t, no better than if they were racisists.
    Except that instead of their prejudice being based on the colour of someone’s skin, it’s based on some perceived level of a person’s wealth. It’s a prevailing attitude expressed on here by the leftites, which is, frankly, shameful.

That’s it for me then. Enjoy the bickering, again.

chambord
    Free Member

That’s it for me then. Enjoy the bickering, again.

Please quit trolling it’s boring

Lifer
    Free Member

Really boring.

slowjo
    Free Member

Cameron has just announced the intention to raise the HRT (40%) threshold to £50k if they get in. Not sure how that helps the vulnerable and poor in the UK. It does sort of smack of self interest.

Here

just saying!

allthepies
    Free Member

Did you miss the raising of the personal allowance up to £12.5k bit ?

slowjo
    Free Member

Probably….

I was under a bridge at the time!

dragon
    Free Member

Does anyone even believe high tax rates would work, heck even government institutions have been know to employ people on terms that minimise the tax paid by the individual.

tinribz
    Free Member

Will never understand the pride the conservatives take in opposing human rights. What moron would vote for someone that boasted about to putting your rights on a par with China.

failedengineer

It’s about time they added ‘National Insurance’ and income tax together. Then we would realise what our actual tax rates are ……

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Which pretty much sums up the left,

Interesting comment.

Of course it was Ronald Reagan who came up with the phrase “Voodoo Economics” so, a choice bit of irony there. Like it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Does anyone even believe high tax rates would work

Whilst you can claim that you are reducing tax to raise more money it is a little like saying we are increasing the speed limit to reduce speeding
    It would work but it is needs explaining and it is a bit deceitful as an argument.
    IMHO we need to do is reduce avoidance.
    Personally I do not think that someone who goes to extraordinary lengths to avoid tax will stop just because you reduced the rate by 5 p as they will still have to pay loads more than if they continue to avoid. as they do not actually need the money ,in the real sense, its clear they do not care morally about paying tax.
    Using speeding if someone drives at 100 mph will they stop if the speed limit becomes 80?
    Personally I doubt it.
    Not the best analogy but it will need to do.

DaRC_L

Which pretty much sums up the left, when it comes to money and managing the UK economy, as far as any Government can.

Hmm not seen too much economic acumen from the ‘right’ on this thread to be fair.
    But this is STW and flinging the proverbial from left to right is the new/old world order.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Great line from CMD….(re Gen Election voting) You might get into bed with Nigel Fararge and wake up with David Milliband!

😀 Brilliant!

Rockape63
    Free Member

Junkyard that is completely unfair and how you cannot see that is beyond me. Several people seem to suggest that having wealth is some kind of wrongdoing and I just don’t agree.
    If you wish to disagree could you actually point out which bit you find unfair?
    Have you notice its you v STW? A rarity for here so well done you.

Not quite Junky….its aracer and me v STW apparently! I work in Sales and if I don’t sell I don’t earn, so am incentivised to work hard. At which point have I earned enough? When I can afford a holiday to Butlins, Majorca or Barbados? Or pehaps you think because some can afford a holiday, I should abandon mine and give the money to the needy?

Its not about needs, its about wants…..if we all based our lives on needs we wouldn’t be human.

allthepies
    Free Member

FTFY 🙂

Difficult to remember the guys name though, granted.

Rockape63
    Free Member

FTFY 🙂

oops! rather ruined the joke! 😳

Lifer
    Free Member

Share it
    Fairly
    But don’t take a slice of my pie

richmtb

I can’t believe people are genuinely arguing about differential taxation

IF man in the state of nature be so free, as has been said; if he be absolute lord of his own person and possessions, equal to the greatest, and subject to no body, why will he part with his freedom? Why will he give up this empire, and subject himself to the dominion and control of any other power? To which it is obvious to answer, that though in the state of nature he hath such a right, yet the enjoyment of it is very uncertain, and constantly exposed to the invasion of others: for all being kings as much as he, every man his equal, and the greater part no strict observers of equity and justice, the enjoyment of the property he has in this state is very unsafe, very unsecure. This makes him willing to quit a condition, which, however free, is full of fears and continual dangers: and it is not without reason, that he seeks out, and is willing to join in society with others, who are already united, or have a mind to unite, for the mutual preservation of their lives, liberties and estates, which I call by the general name, property.

Those with the most benefit the most from stable societies that guarantee their safety and continued property rights. Therefore they should pay a higher percentage of of their earnings to protect it.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Why not raise the personal allowance even more, say to 15k and leave the 40% threshold where it is? Everyone bar those on 100k+ plus would benefit ah, but then you don’t give extra tax breaks to the middle classes and your core support, plus we wouldn’t want to help the plebs too much, would we?

mefty
    Free Member

Everyone bar those on 100k+ plus would benefit ah, but then you don’t give extra tax breaks to the middle classes and your core support, plus we wouldn’t want to help the plebs too much, would we?

He is going after the London Tube drivers vote.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Just to let everyone know I’ve been reading the thread and as usual have plenty to say, will post later. I am sure you can’t wait 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

ot quite Junky….its aracer and me v STW apparently!

Pretty sure he agrees that the better off should pay more tax via higher tax rate.

At which point have I earned enough? When I can afford a holiday to Butlins, Majorca or Barbados? Or pehaps you think because some can afford a holiday, I should abandon mine and give the money to the needy?

Not sure what your point is tbh
    what is more important feeding the poor or you holidaying in barbados? Its not even a dilemma for me.

Its not about needs, its about wants…..if we all based our lives on needs we wouldn’t be human.

wants can never be satisfied only needs can.

I am not sure calling anyone who disagrees not human is helpful tbh.

ninfan
    Free Member

Why not raise the personal allowance even more, say to 15k and leave the 40% threshold where it is? Everyone bar those on 100k+ plus would benefit ah, but then you don’t give extra tax breaks to the middle classes and your core support, plus we wouldn’t want to help the plebs too much, would we

Because a load of people who are currently putting money into their pension to avoid paying tax at the higher rate on it, will stop doing that with some of it, start paying tax on it again, and inject it into the economy by spending it now rather than in 30 years time.

edit: and in case you think I’m talking balls, thats exactly the advice that accountants were giving people

http://www.actuarialpost.co.uk/article/pension-contribution-can-help-avoid-new-higher-rate-tax-185.htm
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/06fcc62a-308b-11e0-9de3-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3Etvxw9wJ

tinribz
    Free Member

In other news Germany scraps tuition fees, they use the Euro right?

Then again George is gonna scrap all tax on inherited pension funds, so we got our priorities right. 😥

chambord
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YBumQHPAeU[/video]

WARNING: Contains the odd F-bomb

Rockape63
    Free Member

wants can never be satisfied only needs can.
    I am not sure calling anyone who disagrees not human is helpful tbh.

Nice spin there Junky! Don’t remember saying anyone who disagreed isn’t human. My point was that its human nature to ‘want’ nice things. Some people believe that if they want ‘nice things’ and they work hard to get a few of them….it makes life a bit more enjoyable.

If I vote for Nige, he’ll give me £600. But if I vote for Dave he’ll only give me £400.

Tight bastard!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Nice spin there Junky!

It was a cheap shot [ meant in humour tbh] but then again so was yours 😛
    You are saying what you want is human nature and its unnatural to not agree with you – its a poor point IMHO. Its like me claiming what i think is typical of humans – we are both at the extreme of what humans think tbh

As for nice things it depends on the person I dont want to be a billionaire or have the “nice” things they have

many of them are IMHO gaudy , exhibitionist and bereft of taste and class tbh

Rockape63
    Free Member

Well being a Billionaire is a bit off my radar too…but I’m speaking up for people who do want a bit more out of life and are prepared to work hard and perhaps take a few risks along the way to achieve it.

Who wants to ride a 10 yrs old bike, when you might be able to buy a new one? Don’t tell me you’d rather ride a 10 yr old bike and give the price of a new one to charity?

Lifer
    Free Member

Rockape63 – Member
    but I’m speaking up for people who do want a bit more out of life and are prepared to work hard and perhaps take a few risks along the way to achieve it.

🙄

aracer
    Free Member

Pretty sure he agrees that the better off should pay more tax via higher tax rate.

Indeed, even me – I thought Junky made the “you v STW” comment having seen my comment. Don’t try and suggest I support something I don’t (that it’s unfair for the wealthier to pay more taxes).

My point was that its human nature to ‘want’ nice things

Yeah – I want society to be a nicer place. I’ve also come to realise that having “stuff” doesn’t actually make you happier.

but I’m speaking up for people who do want a bit more out of life and are prepared to work hard and perhaps take a few risks along the way to achieve it.

What about all those who did work hard, took a few risks and fell on their arses. Couldn’t they do with a government prepared to lend a helping hand?

jota180
    Free Member

Smashing for the those on more than £10K now
    There’s plenty of people on subsistence level part time wages that won’t be better off.
    The lowest paid won’t benefit from it, the very people that need the most help, if there’s money to give away, it should go to them first and work up from there.

binners

Hang on there folks.

Daves actual statement was that there would be all these tax cuts when the defect is paid off

So…. don’t hold your breath then.

Vote for me instead. I’ll give you all a million quid, and a unicorn

grum
    Free Member

This is genius!!

NSFW

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0YBumQHPAeU[/video]

Vote for me instead. I’ll give you all a million quid, and a unicorn

But do you look like Beaker off the muppets? If not, Farage’s comedy face wins my vote.

gobuchul
    Free Member

That is a clever move by CMD.

The 40% tax rate kicks in at about £38k gross. There are lot of “working class” people who earn more than that but less than £50k.

Offering to put more money in their pocket will be very tempting.

MSP

Well if I lived in the Uk right now I would earn (using google for a euro to pound calculation) 44k, and I would rather that money be spent on strengthening services than a tax cut.

Though if the quote above is correct about it being based on the deficit being paid off (debt paid off or deficit reduced to zero?) then it is just pie in the sky promise that they know will never happen and just cheap electioneering.

dragon
    Free Member

I would rather that money be spent on strengthening services than a tax cut.

This is just a bland platitude what services? Pay more mandarins to visit Japan under the guise of ‘learning’ trips? New carpets for Whitehall? More cruise missiles? Better pay for GPs?

MSP

OK I will accept the tax cut as long as whitehall gets cheap nylon carpets and civil servants get a nasty static charge whenever they try to knock one out in the office.

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 390 total)

The topic ‘Same old Tories…’ is closed to new replies.