Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Sam Hill….jeeeeez….
  • lucien

Off the bike he’s go to be the most boring bloke to know….

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGjEdve8J_4[/video]

On the bike, different story

johnellison
    Free Member

He’s Australian. Did you expect anything else?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

TBH.. I think this has more to do with ‘media skills’ – a lack of – both in terms of SH’s and whichever cheapass numpty put this video together… (Pay peanuts..)

svalgis
    Free Member

How long have you known him? Are you close or is he more of an acquaintance?

sharkattack

Sam is cool. Good craic and wicked sense of humour. Not his fault that he’s stiff and awkward in front of a camera. I know how he feels in that department. Don’t judge him by this terrible video.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

What Do you want. He’s a dh racer, not a stand up comedian.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I doubt i’d be feeling on top of the world hobbling around on crutches, with a painful knee and unable to do the thing I love.

hora
    Free Member

Nice.

You know people who are GOOD at something don’t tend to be naturally good infront of a camera.

Ever seen the Nigel Mansell, Damon Hill or Schumacher quiz gameshow? No.

campkoala
    Free Member

C’mon then lucien, entertain Us?

What did you expect from a Pinkbike Q&A video? (ie. Questions posted by teenage mountain bike fans/geeks)

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I was lucky enough to spend 3 weeks with the specialized team last July (media related thing) and out of everyone out of the entire crew Sam was by far the most down to earth and the most laid back. He has a surprisingly dry sense of humour any certainly made me laugh on a few XC rides we all went on. I guess that doesn’t translate onto camera but then why would it. You either like being in front of the camera or you don’t.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

You know people who are GOOD at something don’t tend to be naturally good infront of a camera.

Where as people who are good in front of the camera aren’t good at anything… well part from all those people who are good at stuff and are good in front of the camera and those that are good in front of the camera who are good at stuff I suppose.

I_Ache
    Free Member
    lucien

There is such a thing as “media training” that one could go on to help come across better – given the professional athlete status and the sponsorship / earnings potential involved I don’t buy the whole “you do better” or “he’s a DH racer” – it’s part of his job to deal with the media well or find someone who can on his behalf and not make him look a dull as ditch-water on a video.

Northwind

If only he were as good on camera as the Athertons, or Danny Hart, eh?

campkoala
    Free Member

Ha ha.. 😀

fervouredimage
    Free Member

There is such a thing as “media training” that one could go on to help come across better – given the professional athlete status and the sponsorship / earnings potential involved I don’t buy the whole “you do better” or “he’s a DH racer” – it’s part of his job to deal with the media well or find someone who can on his behalf and not make him look a dull as ditch-water on a video.

But he does deal well with the media. What makes you think he doesn’t? He does as much media stuff as he can. He puts in the time with film makers to make their edits. He happily does interviews, he’s honest in them. I’m sure he’s sorry that he doesn’t have a naturally fizzing personality that lights up a room when the camera’s on him but he certainly has a professional and helpful approach to the mountain bike press.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

… whereas on the bike, you’re a God 😉

cookeaa

Dunno, He seldom comes across as the life and soul type in video interviews, but that doesn’t make him “Boring” it just means that talking about mountain biking, something SH is rather good at it, he struggles to make seem sexy enough to grab the attention of the ADHD sufferers… It’s riding a bike, the interesting bit is more often the doing, rather than talking about it…

I’ll admit I have thought he’s a mumbling simpleton in the past, but then you think about it, he maybe doesn’t say a lot, because there isn’t really that much to actually say…

I’ve not watched the PB vid in question, do they ask him much about being a Dad? I’d bet he could talk the arse off anyone on that topic, I know I could when I became one…

You watch any interview / comment bit with any WC DH racer, Peaty Minnaar, Gee they’re not that riveting to listen to TBH…

If you think Sam Hill is dull, try listening to Marc Beaumont talk about Mountain biking, Sweet Jebus, Now there is a dull man…

I still like that bit in one of the videos (was it one of the Earthed ones) after Champery in 2007, where he just says “I don’t normally ride in the wet at home, My bike would get muddy…” Understated genius IMO…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Sam Hill….jeeeeez….’ is closed to new replies.