Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)
  • Sam Allardyce
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

The man whose teams regularly fight relegation about to be named as the new England manager.
    What an inspired step forward for our international team.
    Back to the rugby it is then 😥

jimmy

The man whose teams regularly fight relegation have never been relegated

is how they’ll sell it. I think its a good move – its as much about managing egos and personalities and he’ll do that

Caher

Indeed but who else? No one, bar Bobby Robson, has built a world class team since ’66.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Hoddle? Yes he’s got a slightly cloudy past but he can actually coach!

MSP

His biggest problem will be the media and fans getting on his back before a ball is even kicked.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

He’ll be good value for interviews and touchline shouty shenanigans. We’ll still be crap.

wrightyson
    Free Member

He’ll be good value for interviews and touchline shouty shenanigans. We’ll still be crap

Funnily enough a mate just text defending him saying he was a good man manager, I just replied “what, as in shouty ****”

jimmy

We’re clearly going to win the world cup. Until we don’t.

soobalias
    Free Member

he’d be a great choice (is it confirmed now then? i guess so)

RichPenny
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG07abIWFfU[/video]

Who doesn’t want to see this in international football? Was hoping that Eddie Howe would get a shot, but the FA won’t take risks.

Klunk
    Free Member

he won’t like international football, no suspect brown envelopes at the motorway services. 😉

loddrik
    Free Member

Hoddle was only partly right, it’s England managers not the disabled who are being punished for sins in past lives.

dragon
    Free Member

Not very inspiring is it. In some ways he might be okay as he is quite modern in terms of fitness, eating etc which might be good for the England centre of ex. But tact, hmm, how do you like long ball lump it up the park football?

tails
    Free Member

The thing is for a long while I’ve heard people say lets play Tikataka lets play high pressing game. Well actually English football is often based on very fast breaks or lumping it forward. so maybe he will do something. The problem is in international football, even getting to the final and losing is still losing, but for sure the Iceland game was shocking

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Glad it’s not Howe as we love him at Bmth. I say fair play to Allardyce really, at least he gets teams punching above their weight . By no means a dream choice but the best of what was on offer really

bruneep
    jambalaya
    Free Member

Well I’m delighted. We can’t possibly be worse than the last 2 tournaments so I see only upside. I wish big Sam the best of luck.

The FA have avoided the safe choice mediocraty that was Hodgson and gone for the best English manager available. For too long we have avoided the risky choices like Clough or Redknapp. We need to be winning matches and as the press have said taking chances and being too afraid to lose we are frightened of our own shadow.

Steve Bruce’s day will come top I hope. Sam was first interviewed for the job 10 years ago.

Candodavid
    Free Member

BBC website came out unfavourable for Sam to be guvnor. 18% in favour only. He’s gonna be given a sh1t time by the media. Guaranteed

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

As a Wales fan / Welshman,I think it’s great news. 😆

theotherjonv

He’s criticised as a ‘long ball’ tactician but I think he tends to cut his cloth to suit rather than deliberately choose to play that way. I expect him to be perhaps more direct and aggressive than past teams, but with the riches of the nation at his disposal I’m prepared to wait and see what kind of teams and tactics he uses before condemning.

He is apparently an excellent man manager, very ‘modern’ in his use of complementary techniques such as alternative conditioning methods, use of statistical analysis, etc.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

He’s from Dudley,..so it’s bostin news ree lee ay it!

JohnClimber
    Free Member

I’d take the job for the money that the FA pay to put up with all the media crap.

Sign a 3 year contract and get kicked out after 6 months, leave the country for a couple of years with the money, come back to fight religation again #Result

hora
    Free Member

What’s he won – his record? I’m not a footie follower but that’d be my first question.

Edit. Just checked- Jesus wept

zokes
    Free Member

To be fair to him, when he was at Bolton he got us into Europe twice and we were the fifth most successful team for a period of about six years behind the ‘big four’ of the time.

However, that was managing a team of poor players to overperform. With England, he’ll be managing a team of allegedly great players who underperform.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Waste of money

The bloke in the street would probably pick the team and we haven’t had any decent tactics for years, so just let them get on with it, it can’t be much worse.

chomp
    Free Member

personally I’m not too disappointed – best of a mediocre bunch really.

What has any English manager won in recent years? Can’t really see why that’s being used as an argument. Would’ve liked to have seen Howe given a go – as long as he had got two tournaments guaranteed so he would have had chance to actually do something longer term.

convert

What does the national manager do for 90% of the year – is it mostly golf and lazy breakfasts? If you can handle having your arse handed to you by the press it must be easy money for 45 weeks a year. Hodgson was on £3.5m a year to do it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I think its a very tough job as unlike a club manager you get to coach the players so rarely. Someone can have a great game and then 8 weeks later have lost form.

Anyway good luck to him. I don’t care how we play, I just want a team showing a bit of courage.

mefty
    Free Member

Big Sam. top top man, knows English football like the back of his hand, players’ manager, have I said what a top man he is?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I almost as pleased as Jamby then again I am not English.

hammerite
    Free Member

Anyone who says he is shouty clearly hasn’t watched him manage often. He just used to sit in the dugout, legs crossed and chewing gum when he was at West Ham. We wanted to see a bit of passion, we saw a bloke looking almost as bored as his football made the fans.

mikey74
    Free Member

The England manager job isn’t a coaching role, it’s a man management and tactician role: players at that level shouldn’t need coaching, just organising. Hence, whilst hes not my first choice, he’s a good option.

nickc

He’ll make absolutely no difference

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

players at that level shouldn’t need coaching

Meanwhile, back in the real world….. 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I really don’t care about coaching methods etc. for the England team, if you have to coach the best 22 players in the nation you have bigger problems. What will his target be for WC qualification? Not get relegated from the group?

I’d still back somebody like Shearer for a motivator and leader to get the best from a group in a very short time.

mikey74
    Free Member

I certainly think he’ll be better than Hodgson.

There’s an interview with Daniel Agger doing the rounds at the moment, talking about the Liverpool managers he served under: he says that Hodgson’s training sessions were the hardest, because they were so repetitive and boring, and it was the same thing day in, day out.

He also says he completely lost the desire to go to work, because of Hodgson’s style of management and training.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I certainly think he’ll be better than Hodgson.

I think Roy Hodgson’s shadow would have been better than Roy Hodgson.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I really don’t care about coaching methods etc. for the England team, if you have to coach the best 22 players in the nation you have bigger problems

Makes you wonder why top stars across pretty much every sport there is bother to have coaches, eh?. 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Makes you wonder why top stars across pretty much every sport there is bother to have coaches, eh?.

They have coaches, full time ones, working on every aspect of their games for the entire time they are playing. My point being if you can magic something out in 3 weeks then good on you genius in fact. However if you can’t get a formation that works or identify the best players in form then you are screwed

loddrik
    Free Member

Couldn’t give a toss about England but allardyce is a great manager. He certainly won’t take any shite from primaddona players. He’s never had a crack at a big club but I reckon if he’d have been offered one he’d have done pretty well.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Sam Allardyce’ is closed to new replies.