Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Salzkammergut Trophy
  • Shred
    Free Member

Anyone done this or know the area that can offer advice?

I’m entered into the A course, 211km, 7100m climbing and I have some questions.

What is the terrain like. I’m guessing hard pack, gravel mainly, nothing too technical. I’ve fitted a Racing Ralph front and Thunder Burt rear. They don’t really suit my local riding (too loose), but I’m thinking fast rolling is best for this event.

How is the food at the stops and water? I’m still debating carrying a backpack vs bottle. I only have one battle cage, so it is a concern, especially if I lose it (never have, just paranoid). Also, carrying the gels and food I like would be easier with a pack.
    What are the stops like later on when all the courses come together?

I’m staying in Bad Ischl. I’m also wondering if I should ride to Bad Goisern or drive. It’s 10km, but might be easier than driving, parking, etc.

Any advice? I know I’m overthinking this, but this is my first time in Germany and Austria.
    Thanks

RoterStern
    Free Member

Not done it personally but have some friends who have. Not sure which route they attempted but each one bailed as it was just ridiculously hard. With that amount of climbing I would estimate around 8-10 hours for that so personally I would be taking a camelback. As for tyres the RR are very popular in Germany by the marathon crowd so should do you fine. Just expect long long long ascents. Good luck!

Shred
    Free Member

I did a 200 mile training ride on the road bike a few weeks ago, with 4500m climbing, so I’m happy with my fitness.

I would prefer to ride without a backpack, but I also don’t like stopping.

RoterStern
    Free Member

It can get pretty warm in Austria in summer then again they get a lot of thunderstorms. I’ve no idea how you are with hydration but I am someone who sweats a lot and therefore need a lot of water. If you really don’t want to use a backpack there are several options for attaching extra bottle mounts. SKS do one primarily aimed at CXers that attaches to the seat tube in the same way their rear mudguards do.

Shred
    Free Member

Bump for the Monday crowd.

talyrond
    Free Member

Hi,

Yes I’m doing it with a friend. Not done it before, but I did the Grand Raid last year, and if that is anything to go by, (which I think it is) hard pack, gravel mainly, is about right. Your tyre choose is good, I’m going with Thunder Burt rear even if wet, with snake skin side walls. Front, if dry may go with the Thunder Burt or Rocket Ron (never tried Racing Ralph to be honest), if wet definitely Rocket Ron.

We’ve dropped the camel back, don’t need that on your back for 16 hours! I have room for 3 bottles, two water and one will have my porridge oats smoothy in it, let me know if need to get an extra bottle on, I’ve two on the seatpost, I can let you know the bits you need. Note you can’t leave anything at any stops, a team member can, but we don’t have any support:(
    The longest distance between stops is about 12 miles, like the first one for instance, and that is a massive climb, so for me that’s a two bottle stint.
    Gels – I’ve got a Tri bag on the top tube up by the head tube, then I am taping (insulation tap) 6 gels on the remainder of the top tube all the way down to the seatpost, the rest will go in the jersey pockets. Also I’m tapping two spare inner tubes on the seat tube, pump under the water bottle cage on the down tube. Lastly a small saddle bag with phone and tools.

We’re staying in town, so can’t help on getting there in the morning, but I think there are taxis with racks etc.

Julian

njee20
    Free Member

If you use a seat post mounted bottle cage make sure you tape the bottles in tightly to stop them bouncing out. Eh Julian?! 😉

talyrond
    Free Member

Indeed young man, velcro straps are the way to go!

sarpullido
    Free Member

I did the long one last year and doing it again. Don’t take camelback, there are plenty of well cattered feed stations. It’s not too technical except for some muddy rooty rocky bits. I’d take tyres with protection for peacebof mind.

Cut off times, plenty of margin at the beginning but later on is getting closer and closer.

You know you have to get your bike checked.Go early! You’ll then be given a paper with the ok and then you can go to pick up the number.

The camper area in Bad Goisern is nice. Pay little for lots of comfort. Free WIFI, use of showers before race, bike wash…it’s at the football pitch.
    Tons and tons of vendors there. It’s a very well organized huge event. Worst climb the one after the lake, around 140?km. Easy to identify in the map.

Shred
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments. I’ve got myself a back bottle to have in my jersey, so I should be okay for water.

It looks like that climb has been taken out. There was a updated map in the last newsletter.

http://www.mikspec.pl/myroute/default/profiles/149398
    http://www.mikspec.pl/myroute/default/view3d/149398.0.289051956.3d

I’m really looking forward to this now.

terrahawk
    Free Member

I’m doing it for the first time. Driving down with Guy Martin who’s done it before and reckons it’s his best day on a pushbike ever.
    so that’s good enough for me.

We’re going to camp on that footy pitch.

Shred
    Free Member

Does anyone know when the bike checks open?
    According to the website, registration starts at 2:30 on Friday, but doesn’t mention when the bike check opens.

Also, do they usually open earlier, so is it worth getting there in the morning, or rather just go later.

sarpullido
    Free Member

We did the bike check early on Friday and then spent the rest of the morning in the bike expo before it got busy. There were queues before the registration opened but it all went quickly.

Shred
    Free Member

Well, the forecast is looking good, I’m on my way to Munich and hopefully haven’t forgotten anything important. Good luck to everyone involved!

terrahawk
    Free Member

my account of the race. It was brilliant!

Salzkammergut Trophy – a Team JMC roadtrip to Austria

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Salzkammergut Trophy’ is closed to new replies.