Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Saltcoats in Ayrshire, any good for a family holiday with a bit of riding too
  • MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

We've got a load of Tesco clubcard points to use up and one of the options is the Sandylands, Park Resorts site at Saltcoats. Can anyone recommend it (or not) for next summer?

falkirk-mark

I would not reccomend it as the site is usually pikey central

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I always thought it was a bit of a sh1thole tbh, but nearby is Ardrossan where you can get the ferry over to arran which is nice and has some prety good riding on/around Goat Fell (although I do have a slight scar from a high'ish speed collision with a tree)
    Also, my experience is solely from driving through it on the scenic route home (used to keep a boat in Irvine), and that whole stretch of the Clyde coast (apart from Ardrossan and Saltcoats) is really pretty and scenic, so maybe Saltcoats would do as a base.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Saltcoats is indeed a total hole. However, the above is correct. Arran is close by and good riding, also nearby Lochwinnoch – good sustrans route for the kids or there's always Misty Law if you want a challenge. Must add that getting to Arran by car is expensive.

BoardinBob

Saltcoats

Imagine the worst scenes from The Wire interspersed with bits of the opening scene from Saving Private Ryan

amatuer

BigButSlimmerBloke +1.
    Arran now has waymarked red and black graded trails. If using Saltcoats as a base though, make sure the bikes are chained and locked to something solid.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Saltcoats is where poor people from Glasgow used to go for their summer holidays, they don't even go there anymore. It really is that bad.

that whole stretch of the Clyde coast (apart from Ardrossan and Saltcoats) is really pretty and scenic

Aye Irvine really is wonderful!!

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Thanks folks, when I saw on the map how close to Glasgow it is I had a feeling that it might not be everything the brochure promises.

algarvebairn
    Free Member

Saltcoats its like Shameless with Seagulls. An utter hole.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Saltcoats its like Shameless with Seagulls

PMSL

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Saltcoats in Ayrshire, any good for a family holiday with a bit of riding too’ is closed to new replies.