Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Salt corrosion and a question about feathers…
  • Kryton57

I feel ashamed. As the other bike is off to be warranty inspected I thought I should take the winter bike off the Turbo so I have something to ride. It was a mess – front brake calliper seized, lots of “gunk” in and around the stem bolts, front mech and at the bottom of the frame presumably from my sweat content. Even worse, the paint at the QR of my forks and the top tube cable guides just fell of in chunks at the slightest touch.

So I’m embarrassed by the lack of maintenance and shocked at the damage – I’ll be wiping the bike down more diligently after turbo sessions in the future.

So the question, the cable going down my downtube had some feathery content stuck to them. At first I thought the cable had frayed, but the stuff does move and can be wiped into a bundle then pulled off the cable – but what is is? It feels metallic so are these tiny strands of cable that have come away with the sweat / salt corrosion or something else?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve no idea, but

Kryton57

Yes, it’s not pleasant. I was spraying a light Gt85 coat wiping down my frame with a kitchen tissue but obviously not well enough.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Salt corrosion and a question about feathers…’ is closed to new replies.