• This topic has 25 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Salt bath to heal cuts
  • theotherjonv

I’ve been recommended saltwater baths to heal an annoying cut that won’t close.

What concentration? Tablespoon? Cup full? Any ideas?

joe1983
    Free Member

I usually add salt to taste

zaskar
    Free Member

I think salt may help sterilise it.

You should apply bandages and seek medical help or call NHS direct speak to a nurse see your Gp.

Rather get advice from forums which will give you strange advice.

theotherjonv

yeah, it was the surgeon who told me to have salt wather baths but I forgot to ask how strong.

Tried until it was just enough to taste salty – nowhere near as much as sea water. We’ll see if it makes any difference.

MrNutt
    Free Member

LOADS!! enough to float!!

MrNutt
    Free Member

ok, half a cup then.

hora
    Free Member

Never come across a cut that wont close over. How open was/is the wound? circumstances/how it happened?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Better to go to your GPs practice and ask the practice nurse / district nurse. Dressings and wound healing is a nursing thing – doctors are notoriously poor at it.

Salt baths can work – they keep the wound clean – but its an incredibly old fashioned thing. Modern dressings are so good but I bet the Doc knows nowt about it.

e mail me offforum if you want some specific advice. jeremyDOTpascoeATbtinternetDotcom

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I guess it was a pilonidal sinus?

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

There is no evidence to support the use of Salt baths – it a nursing myth – As TJ says have a chat with your practice nurse as hopefully they will have info on modern evidence based treatment

theotherjonv

TJ; yhm

theotherjonv

Hora; about the size of my little fingernail (more of a hole than a wound), it’s supposed to be ‘healing by secondary intention’ but needs a hurry up.

How I got it. Hmm, read some of my recent posts and you’ll see 😉

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

How I got it. Hmm, read some of my recent posts and you’ll see [;-)]

Your I had a vasectomy yesterday thread??!?!

theotherjonv

you got it.

Got infected, had to be cleaned back out, the doc suggested salt water baths to speed up healing this time round.

zaskar
    Free Member

Bacteria hate salt but don’t know about other microbes.

Keep dry/talc?

Like I said ask your GP or call NHS direct on the phone for advice.

Didn’t the Gp tell you not to play with yourself for a while? ;O)

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Supeglue it 🙂

marty
    Free Member

i remember having to have salt baths to help close my appendectomy wound. back when they cut you properly…

other stand outs from that episode include a suppository and a few days in a convalescence hospital (astley ainslie).

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Get your women to eat a couple of packets of salt & vinegar crisps, then partake in some ‘tea-bagging’. See now, fun and helpfull 🙂

theotherjonv

Supeglue it

I have contemplated it (not seriously mind, before TJ throws a fit)

Does make me wonder why they are so proud though of their ‘no stitch’ procedure when to my mind one or two little stitches would have had this closed in a few days.

theotherjonv

can’t stand salt and vinegar. Ready salted though, there’s an idea!

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Suppose you could experiment with flavours. Just dont try space dust.

CraigNicholson
    Free Member

In all seriousness, any glue used in a hopspital is actually sterilised superglue. Exactly the same as you get in the shops but has gone through a sterilisation procedure. I use it all the time for knicks on fingers etc as long as they have been cleaned out properly (my mate is an A&E Doctor and it was his advice)

Wouldn’t use it on my nuts too quickly though – might smart a bit! If you wanted to give it a go, just soak in the bath to get it off. It’s not water resistant.

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

I have got a nice post operative infection was using salt to wash mouth as sugested by hospital now I am on 500g of antibiotics therefoe sugest you keep a close eye on cut incase you die

Stoner
    Free Member

i regularly superglue my eczema splits.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Put some maggots onto the wound.

Drac

Never come across a cut that wont close over

Is that because your not a medical professional at all?

TJ is right ask to see your nurse at your GPs they will put proper dressing on it and give your some advice to keep it clean.

In all seriousness, any glue used in a hopspital is actually sterilised superglue. Exactly the same as you get in the shops but has gone through a sterilisation procedure.

It’s not quite the same just because you heard it on Dog Soldiers doesn’t mean it’s true.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Salt bath to heal cuts’ is closed to new replies.