• This topic has 30 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by gee.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Salsa Spearfish new build :)
  • gee
    Free Member

A couple of bits still to be changed/bought when funds allow (like a proper chain device)… XTR clutch mech coming tomorrow as the one on there is quite bent and new SIDs will be ordered when I’m not skint! No idea on weight – probably around 25lbs?

GB

rootes1

very nice!

johnnystorm

Very nice. Shave 100gms by swapping those grips for some ESI silicone or foam grips!

charliedontsurf

Very nice

scotroutes

Really, really nice that.

Spearfish is high on my “most wanted” list.

rootes1

missed out on an XL orange spearfish frame from Triton for £599.. will just stick with the swift for the time being..

cooie

Charlie’s got an XL frame in orange for £649.99

charliedontsurf

Yep, all of the spearfish frames are with me now.
    Just large (x4) and a single XL left now
    I want the orange XL for myself, so be quick. All I need is a few spare hours and it will built and in the hills.
    http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/salsa-spearfish-29er-full-suspension-frame-692-p.asp

tazzymtb

Bloomin lovely, why a chain device on the front and not a sram xx1 or derivative so you can ditch it all together (and save some weight 😀 )

rootes1

yer saw that and Charlie did send an email about frames for £649! but really I shouldn’t just built a LHT… plus would need new forks (only 80mm on the swift, seat post plus problem solvers, new cables and new hoses…

Charlie treat yourself!

sambob
    Free Member

I like that.

chunkymonkey1982
    Free Member

How does it compare to the el mariachi?

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Looks like a fun bike 🙂

shinsplints

Looks a bit fast that, I likey

gee
    Free Member

It’s about the same weight as my El Mar steel was. Compared to the ti it has a shallower head angle so is a bit of a beast on the downhills. It has a lower BB too.

ODI and MRP are sponsors – hence the parts. That and XX1 is quite expensive…

I’m waiting for Works to have their chainrings in stock – then with the new clutch mech I have coming hopefully I won’t need the chain device – hence the temp bodge.

GB

weeksy

Looks great in black.

ac282

Looks great. Got any big events planned for it?

gee
    Free Member

Potentially the Gorrick 100, Exposure 12hr solo, Big dog 6hr solo, Kielder 100 and D2D solo.

Depends on the weather as I can’t face riding for that long in the rain…

charliemort

is it qr rear or boly thru’?

Has it changed to bolt thru’s for 2013?

gee
    Free Member

142x12mm rear axle on the SF1/frame only.

GB

gee
    Free Member

Now updated with lighter Rebas, a proper MRP seat tube chain device and XTR clutch mech… The difference compared to my ti hardtails now I’ve ridden it a few times is immense. I’ve never been keen on full sus bikes, partly a weight thing, partly as I think it’s cheating and makes you ride lazily and partly as they need more looking after. This has convinced me, though! Just enough suspension to let you really attack the trails without quite so much out-of-controlness as a hardtail.

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

Hi is there any difference between your frame and the older green/orange ones going at charlies for £650?

Marge
    Free Member

Shock for starters I think

gee
    Free Member

Yep – shock, anodised so this one is a teeny bit lighter and also the rear end is 12×142 bolt through.

So no difference that you’d actually notice, no.

GB

STATO
    Free Member

The black one will have a bolt through rear end, switching to a 10mm bolt through skewer is enough to take the tiny amount of flex out the older ones. TBH, you only even need that if you have expensive stiff wheels.

steve_b77
    Free Member

JE James are (were) doing 9mm DT Swiss RWS rears for a tenner a few weeks ago

takisawa2

Very posh.

somouk
    Free Member

JE James are (were) doing 9mm DT Swiss RWS rears for a tenner a few weeks ago

All out of stock 🙁

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice bike that.

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

Cool cheers.

gee
    Free Member

Weight as in the pic above is 25.2lbs on the digital hanging scales, so a bit more than I thought but not surprising with the build – wheels/grips/cranks/pedals/tyres not the lightest but they just work. It was a perfect bike for the Gorrick 100 last weekend – there seemed to be a lot of hardtail suffering going on…

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Salsa Spearfish new build :)’ is closed to new replies.