• This topic has 16 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by gee.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Salsa Mamasita 29er – nearly finished!
  • gee
    Free Member

Dodgy phone pic, but the Winter race bike is nearly finished – Stans 355 Rims and Schwalbe tyres due Tues, new Salsa stem with Ti bolts due in a couple of weeks. Red nips and black spokes waiting in the background…

And yes the garage is a mess and the seat is far too high (at max – so I don't push it in too far when building and scratch it).

Should make the Thetford Winter Series R1 for its first race, I have its sister the Selma, which is ace through the trails, so I'm sure this will be too!

GB

tazzymtb

very nice! also like the gusset series R rotors, they're tops. Have you tried the Ashima air rotors they are about 25g lighter a rotor (if you're that way inclined.)

thinking of trying the dos niner as an enduro/event setup for next year, so I'll be interested on your salsa 29er race/ride feedback when it's finished.

gee
    Free Member

We're sponsored by Ison – so the Gusset rotors come from them. Yes, Ashima are a bit lighter, but not from Ison!

The Selma – which is the same frame without gear cable stops – handles really nicely, very quick through the singletrack and rolls over the bumps (being a 29er…). The carbon rear end makes it nice and forgiving. It's just a brilliant singlespeed and I hope this is the same!

As for the Dos Niner – You might want to try one back to back with a Mamasita as I'm not sure it makes that much difference having the shock. Come see us at a race!

GB

tazzymtb

when n where are you racing over the winter, if you're down at thetty I should be in the area for at least one of the races

gee
    Free Member

Hi,

Yes, the team will be at all the Thetford races. Come say hi! I'm the one on the red Mamasita… 🙂

GB

singlespeedstu

*waits for a loudmouthed tw4t to turn up and tell everyone how shite 29ers are and how great he is despite never winning anything of note*

bombadillo
    Free Member

29rs are good for big fat blokes too.
    my mate rides one……….or 3. 😉

gee
    Free Member

They're great for SS – the way they roll over stuff suits not having any gears, as it means you don't have to brake as much on the downs, so you keep momentum better.

As for geared ones, watch this space and the results at the Thetford Winter Series ;). I know the frame handles really well, but not sure about how well it goes at race speeds – guess we'll fimd out next weekend! Also not sure about the gears either – I may change to 40/26 double, as I have a 44/29 and a 12/34 on the 26" bike and love it, just want to test out the "bigringability" of the triple first. I usually use 44/3rd largest cog on cassette and harder gears on the 26" bike round Thetters, so I'm wondering will this mean I'll be on 44/2nd largest? Anyone got any experience with geared 29ers? I've fitted a 12/34 cassette, same as I use with the double on the 26er.

singlespeedstu

They're great for SS

No sit sherlock. 😀

bombadillo
    Free Member

ss……….slow speed ❓

singlespeedstu

Superior Style. 8)

keavo
    Free Member

44×11 on a 29er is huge, you might be able to do it justice though:-)
    seriously it will surely depend on your fitness, terrain etc. i've used 22/34 rings in enduro type events and not felt undergeared. i'm not fighting for the win though, you would probably like 26/38 or 40.
    had the standard triple on at 10 under the ben, there was plenty of good opportunities for using the 44 even got the 11 in.

keavo
    Free Member

i reckon 22/32/42 or 40 (where can you get a 40?) would be perfect. never got round to trying it though.

Daffy

gee
    Free Member

Good choice of bike there Daffy.

GB

fontmoss
    Free Member

gratuitous pics of the selma please gee 😀

gee
    Free Member

Oh, go on then…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Salsa Mamasita 29er – nearly finished!’ is closed to new replies.