Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Salsa Flip-Lock or Hope QR Seatopst Clamp?
  • chrisjnr
    Free Member

Having trouble deciding between the two, for a start is the Salsa worth the extra £4 (quality-wise maybe) and is the Hope ‘good enough’?
    I understand that should I buy either I won’t be replacing them any time soon but which would you say is better?
    Odd question I know but want to get either tomorrow 😀

MrGreedy

Having owned both, I would go with the Salsa every time. The brass bush in the Hope seemed to wear very easily so before long it needed to be done up mega-tight to prevent slippage – eventually so tight that I bent the lever. The Salsa however has been rock solid.

james
    Free Member

The salsa is very good with a nice long lever
    All the reviews I could find said it was very good too
    I found a load of reviews saying the hope one wasn’t very good amongst the hope lover reviews when I looked

ruscle
    Free Member

I love Hope stuff but their qr seat clamp is not very good, looks nice but is not very smooth or easy to clamp. That salsa came with my Yeti frame and is a dream to use. Made me realise I had been waisting money on the hope ones all this time, I think the shape and longer arm of the salsa makes it much smoother and meaning you need less pressure. Salsa all day long.

chrisjnr
    Free Member

Thank you very much chaps for clearing that up and I’m glad for it as I was getting increasingly tempted by the Hope 🙂
    I shall be ordering the Salsa tomorrow afternoon…
    Once again, thank you 😀

iain1775
    Free Member

In case your still in doubt – salsa all the time
    Have 2 hope and a salsa, new shape hope is better but neither come close to the salsa

andyl
    Free Member

I hate to say it but Salsa if you are having slipping problems. I run a Hope though as it looks nicer on my angular carbon frame. On a nice steel frame I would go with a Salsa.

toys19
    Free Member

There is no better qr than the chromag one. Had a hope one it was crap.

Stoner
    Free Member

Have owned both – hope rubbish, salsa sweet.

neninja
    Free Member

I sold my Hope one as the post slipped with it fitted – replaced with a Chromag which was perfect.

Also use a Syntace Superlock one which stops muck going down the seat tube and clamps the post securely with very little force.
    http://www.bike24.net/p27738.html

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just looking for a new QR myself, but are there any cheaper options out there, afterall a QR is just a QR right?

Stoner
    Free Member

dunc, maybe the ragley one?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=40540

uses a plastic bush rather than a brass one, but it’s cheap.

chrisjnr
    Free Member

neninja, thanks for that mate; the priority is to get an effective, yet colourful QR at the best price possible. While the Syntace is around the desired price, there is NO RANGE OF COLOURS 😀

toys19 I had taken a look at the Chromag clamp after hearing from many directions that it was by far one of, if not the bast clamp around… BUT, I don’t think my ars* is going to exert such MASSIVE forces unto the seatpost/saddle as to warrant me spending an extra £15 over what I ideally want to spend 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

The Salsa is much better than the hope. The Chromag seat QR is better again. It’s only £15 more. Go on, your bike deserves it.

toys19
    Free Member

chrisjnr – it depends on how often you raise and lower your post. As I am fat git mine is done many times a ride, and its very easy to do, with the chromag. 35 quid well spent. To put things in perspective people will happily spend 5-75 quid on a normal seat post (when I use 20 quid ones which appear to function in exactly the same way) and other people have spent 250 on an uppy downy post…

Now I do not believe in “justification” in terms of mtb purchases, there is no justification for mtb its just fun, therefore anything you buy is desire. If you don’t desire a nice clamp then you know what to do..

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

salsa all the way – its a cracking well made solid QR lever…

chrisjnr
    Free Member

Hehe, thank you toys19; and very well put… By no means do I say that the limit of my aspiration is a £20 seatclamp, and I take on board the fact that there is no such thing as ‘need’ in Mtb, but at the same time that does not remove the objectivity of money and as you say if it fulfills its purpose and does what it says on the proverbial ‘tin’ there is no reason for me to spend the extra £15 which may not be a massive sum of money but could be used on some little bling bolts etc. IMO that would be better spend of the money for the moment. 🙂

I have never had a seatpost-clamp slip, unless incorrectly tightened and I can’t see 70kg doing much to change that record, even with the Salsa. 😉

toys19
    Free Member

Ahh it isn’t just about slip, its about a nice positive non graunchy feeling as you close it with easy lever pressure, and being able to undo with one finger, and it still doesn’t slip. The hope one had to pressed home with a 50 tonne hydraulic press to get it to grip my post (this was after a succession of cheap crap ones from on-one, and the cotic one my bfe came with which was utter rubbish to my surprise). I have no experience of the salsa, it sounds good.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Salsa Flip-Lock or Hope QR Seatopst Clamp?’ is closed to new replies.