Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Salsa Fargoists – What shifters with Woodchippers and Sweetroll?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I did a quick Google and couldn’t find a definitive answer.

I’m going to switch the Bell Lap bars and 9 speed Ultegra brifters on my Fargo to some Woodchippers.

I want to be able to use my Revelate harness and Sweetroll for bike packing but can see there being a problem where the gear cables leave the levers. Is fitting bar end shifters the way to go here? Will the cables still foul the Sweetroll or smaller bar mounted dry bag?

I’m thinking of fitting some cheap and durable Tektro brake levers.

STATO
    Free Member

I ran cables from the bar-end shifters all the way up the bar under the tape, like you do for the brake levers. Needed a lot of outer, get a roll of 10meters (works cheaper than kits in the end anyway!).

Bar-end shifters are ok on those bars, but they are a long way out of reach and sticking out tends to get them whacked off stuff (often your knee). Thumbies on top of the bar might suit better? Paul-components make mounts for the bar-end shifters.

Thats a drybag on rack in picture not a bar-roll, but worked fine with either.

scotroutes

What’s wrong with STIs?
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/oE4xXC]P1010496[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/oE5359]DSC_0144[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

That’s a 13L Alpkit drybag in a Revelate Harness. The Sweetroll/Saltyroll is pretty long but thin in comparison.

scotroutes

Bugger. Just seen that you are using 9-speed so my answer is moot!

STATO
    Free Member

Bugger. Just seen that you are using 9-speed so my answer is moot!

Given the rear mech would be the same (using road 10s shifters) then changing to 10s would only be a chain and cassette extra over new shifters, about £30, worth considering if space allowed.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Salsa Fargoists – What shifters with Woodchippers and Sweetroll?’ is closed to new replies.