Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Salsa El Mariachi or Stanton sherpa?
  • asunder
    Free Member

For general trail riding, punking around town, as well as the occasional overnight bikepack – maybe also SS and 27.5+ experiments down the track.
    I’ve got a FS trail already so not too fussed about its capacity for gnar.
    I can get a runout el mar frame about 200 dollars cheaper than the sherpa.
    Your thoughts please?

tomd
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2014 El Mariachi set up rigid but geared. It’s been a really good bike and used for all kinds of stuff week in, week out. The quality and detailing on the frame is quite nice and the paint has lasted really well. It’s definitely aimed more at the XC end of things – the geometry doesn’t inspire much confidence on the steep stuff but the flip side is it’s nimble and fun on twisty trails. I’d buy it again.

I haven’t tried a Sherpa so can’t offer a comparison.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I have an El-Mariachi, it’s a great bike, but it’s certainly more ‘XC’ than the Sherpa which is more of a trail bike (for smooth, but fun trail center trails given it’s slack HA and short fork combination)?

It’s no twitchier than any other XC bike (the latest new-school bikes excepted), just feels like there’s a lot more to deal with than on a bigger heavier bike at speed.

Conversely, loaded up it doesn’t feel heavy.

I’m only hypothesising though as I don’t have a Stanton.

I’m happy with it and would buy the same or similar again.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/M7YWXm]2016-10-10_10-20-51[/url] by thisisnotaspoon, on Flickr

asunder
    Free Member

I think head angle is about the only real difference. El Mar is about 3.5 degrees steeper

swavis

I love my Sherpa, it climbs like a scalded cat and is an absolute hooligan on the way back down, the most fun hardtail I’ve had 😀

As others have said the Salsa may be a bit more XC but the Sherpa is perfectly capable mile muncher too..

Mine atop Ben Rinnes
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/Ts76G1]Stanton Sherpa @ Ben Rinnes Summit[/url] by Gavin Belton, on Flickr

NormalMan

Slightly different angle 😆 but can you find anyone with a Karate Monkey Ops still in stock?

I love mine. 44mm HT and MRS swappable dropouts make it pretty versatile.

asunder
    Free Member

Here in Oz the KM is pretty much on par cost wise with the sherpa. I do like the look and versatility of the KM although on paper I think it’s slightly longer than the other two. (the current release that is)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Salsa El Mariachi or Stanton sherpa?’ is closed to new replies.