Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Salsa Cycles new suspension design
  • rootes1

Surely the Rumblefish has just morphed into the EX 29ers

yes, but the arrangement of linkages etc is different

martinxyz
    Free Member

Seems odd though that they’d pay DW for something that does essentialy the same job as the original design. Not heard/seen any issues with the rear trinagles.

What,hold a back wheel into the frame? Having owned a spearfish and currently riding dw.. I can see why they have shifted. If the split pivot version is as good as or better than a standard dw design then the difference is night and day.

AlexSimon

dw and split pivot are quite different.
    In fact different implementations of both can be quite different to each other.

martinxyz
    Free Member

but you would expect it to be as good as or better (than dw). I can only imagine how much better it’s going to be (than the original spearfish) Would love to try one.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I don’t think split-pivot is supposed to be as good as dw-link, I thought it was supposed to be a more budget conscious design.

AlexSimon

I don’t know about that. The licensing is cheaper. It solves different problems.
    DW is always going to have trouble fitting in around the seatpost/rear tyre – especially on aluminium bikes.

SP doesn’t really help pedalling afaict, nor does it change axle path that much. It does isolate braking forces though.

As shocks get cleverer, SP might come into its own, but I’m still worried it’ll be a bit ‘dull’, but I’d like a ride.

IA

Hope they have cheaper mech-hangers this time round. Just been looking for one for my Horsethief – £45!!!!

Yeah, problem is it’s not just a hanger, it’s the dropout too really as it has the threads for the maxle. Cheaper than my old socom’s dropouts at least :-/

honourablegeorge

TurnerGuy – Member

I don’t think split-pivot is supposed to be as good as dw-link, I thought it was supposed to be a more budget conscious design.

Yeah – the idea is that it can be easily built onto frames without the kind of tube complication that DW requires.

http://www.split-pivot.com/performance.html

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

but you would expect it to be as good as or better (than dw). I can only imagine how much better it’s going to be (than the original spearfish) Would love to try one.

My point was that split pivot, and the original designs are both linkage actuated single pivots. Both should pedal just as well as each other assuming the leverage curves and main pivot placement are the same. Dave Weagle might have breathed some magic on the numbers and sweaked the shock lverage, but that’s something anyone could have done (given the knowlage/experience), the split pivot licence is presumably just a condition of him doing the rest of the design, because as a design it adds nothing (appart from dubious benifits of isolating the brake calliper which Mert Lawill did in the 80’s) to the original flexy stays.

It looks to me like an exercise in beign new for the sake of it and with more words for the marketing department to get excited over. Heck it could even just be a dig at Trek.

IA

I notice the swing link for the shock has moved from inside the frame to “in the crap from the rear wheel” which seems a backwards move to me…

bowglie

I currently have a 2012 Horsethief, and my wife has a 2011 Spearfish. FWIW, I also used to own a Trek EX with split pivot (that they call APB). I also regularly use a Spesh FSR – so, I’m very interested to see what these new Salsa’s are going to ride like.

IMO, the current Horsethief is a superb bike for the UK – relatively light frame weight, rides really well (once shock pressure is dialled in) and tolerant of grit & muck, so pretty low maintenance. However, for the terrain and way that I ride, there were a couple of things that I think would improve the bike – better performance under braking, and slightly shorter chainstays. TBH though, I only really notice these things once I get back on the Horsethief after riding the FSR for a few days – and both things can be compensated for to some extent.

Having ridden the Trek split pivot, I know that it was definitely up there with the FSR for braking grip – and I didn’t really notice any of its single pivot-ness. I’d like to see how the shortened chainstays affect the descending stability of the new Horsethief, as the current model is really good in that respect (and yes, the current one can still be manualed, even with a heavy fork and 1kg tyre! – just don’t ask me to do a massive ‘coaster manual’ :wink:)

Anyway, I’m really looking forward to trying the new Horsethief – anyone know expected release dates in the UK?

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Salsa Cycles new suspension design’ is closed to new replies.