Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • salsa bell laps for cx racing (legal)?
  • sefton
    Free Member

the 44cm bars measure from center to center from the top – but these bars flare out on the drops – are they wider than 50cm on the drops?

I believe there is a 50cm rule for the 3 peaks? does this apply across all cx races?

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/salsa-bell-lap-bars-993-p.asp

I’ve also never seen a 24.5mm clamp size??

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

UCI rules state:
    1.3.012 A bicycle shall not measure more that 185 cm in length and 50 cm in width overall.

3 Peaks have their own rules but also define a max component width of 50cm. (Interesting to see they allow disk brakes now)

However are you planning on doing a UCI race or the 3 peaks? Most races would be fine with those bars, IMO

sefton
    Free Member

I’m planning on doing some local races next year (northwest area).

taxi25
    Free Member

I’ve got 44cm bell laps on my cx bike. Pretty sure they don’t flare out to 50cm. I’ll measure them when I get home and let you know. Great bars imho, done 3peaks and local races with them and never had a problem.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I’m planning on doing some local races next year (northwest area).

as far as i’m aware you can enter UCI point races but not accumulate the points on a bike which doesn’t fit the rules. you won’t be able to compete in nationals though. could be BS…

taxi25
    Free Member

52cm at their widest ! No world rounds for m :(e then. 🙁

Rorschach
    Free Member

I rode the 3 peaks on 46cm bell laps (waaay past 50cm on the drops) last year,an official had squint at mine-winked and carried on.I was stood at the 5hr sign and I suspect if i was nearer the front it may have been different (4.04btw).

stever
    Free Member

I did the 3 Peaks on a borrowed bike with Salsas. You should play by the rules really (and I took a saw with me to the race – hope the owner isn’t reading!) but I was in a corner. I’d take a guess at you being fine in NWCCA League. [The 24.5mm thing will be a typo]

aP
    Free Member

You won’t be allowed to race a UCI ranked race on a non-compliant bike, but then I don’t suppose that the OP is likely to be doing so, ie max 33mm tires etc. In league races you can pretty much ride what you want as long as its safe.

sefton
    Free Member

I went for a 44cm bar to be on the safe side, cheers guys

julianwilson
    Free Member

I have ridden a couple of local league races: one on a full sus mountain bike with two inch tyres, and the other on a singlespeed hardtail with a 710mm handlebar! (I beat a few people on real cx bikes on that one too 8) ) -it’s generally only when you get into regional ‘bigger’ races where you have to have the right bike with the right brakes, tyres and dimensions.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘salsa bell laps for cx racing (legal)?’ is closed to new replies.