Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Salsa Beargrease
  • Spud

Anyone have one? And what are your thoughts? And I really don’t want an On-one, I haven’t the strength to pick one up!

Twodogs

Got one…love it. I do a lot of beach and sand dune riding, plus pretty much anything else. 30lbs with Thomson uppy downy post.
    Not ridden any other fatbike so can’t compare…

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve got both,an on one and a carbon beargrease.there isn’t that much weight difference if I’m honest and imo they don’t ride too too disimilar either. Both with 4″ tyres around late 20’s to early 30’s in weight and both good for trail riding.

fd3chris
    Free Member

27.6 lbs for beargrease and 31.6 for the fatty with dropper.

johnnystorm

You’d get a carbon Tomac for a couple of hundred less than an alloy beargrease…..

(I’d probably still want a Salsa all the same)

cozz
    Free Member

unless you mean a carbon bear grease (limited to 4″ tyres tho)

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

I have one in the garage that I’m selling for a friend that sadly isn’t with us any more. Silly-light, ridiculous traction and great fun to ride. I’d have it myself if I wasn’t so very, very poor

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

Didn’t know they did an alloy one, I’ve got the carbon one. If the geometry is the same, the alloy one should be great, and probably not much heavier….

takisawa2

I’d be looking at the Pivot Les Fat too.

rickmeister

Lot of the weight in a fatbike is in the wheels,

Rode with a friend who has a sub 10 kg Beargrease due to stupidly expensive light wheels and tubeless..

Cheezpleez

Sub 10kg? Blimey. What’s the build?

Spud

Yes, carbon Beargrease. I clocked the tyre width limit too. The Pivot is a lovely bike but struggling to find a full bike. Assuming they’re only supplied F&F. Need to do some mulling over before pressing buy as it’s a lot of £. I don’t do much rocky stuff at all and wondering if it would do me for the odd weekend of lads at trail centres.

gee
    Free Member

Kuroshiro Enso 685 rims, Hope hubs and DT revs
    Next SLs
    USE carbon bits and bobs
    XTR gears and brakes
    X0 cassette
    Jumbo Jim 4″ snakeskin

rickon
    Free Member

27.6 lbs for beargrease and 31.6 for the fatty with dropper.

[quote]there isn’t that much weight difference[/quote]

You know that’s a huge difference in weight on a bike? That’s the difference being being a pig to climb, and being lively – people pay thousands for that difference. Although, to be fair it’s a bike with 4 inch tyres 😉

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

If you’re near Milton Keynes Spud your more than welcome to have a look at the Beargrease here, it’s on the Facebook fatbike selling page if you want pics and details…

fd3chris
    Free Member

@rickon it doesn’t feel it when you ride it at all although I do like to try to keep my bikes under 30lbs,and now I’ve just put a boingy front end on the salsa it’s heavier than the oo but I now should be rocketship fast 🙂 the bike that’s being offered above is in lovely condition and was treated well. You wont find a better spec one for sale for that money.

Ginger
    Free Member

I really like mine, it being the first generation alloy version. It’s light enough and rolls well over all terrain. However, I also have an Ice Cream Truck on long term test and it is just more, well, fun. It’s heavier and slower but it is a riot to ride.

I’d be hesitant to try and drop too much weight on the rims by going carbon. Have a look at Dr Jons Wanderings blog to see how poor HED carbon rims are for an awful lot of money. Better to go tubeless and lighter on the tyres if that matters to you. I run Surly rims and they have survived multiple rock strikes from me running my tyres soft.

For the best of all worlds, you might consider getting a Surly Wednesday and outfitting it with Light Bicycle carbon rims which won’t leave you in a state of guttedness should you ever crack one. The Surly rims supplied with it are terrific and would serve you well for a long time.

Hope this helps!

chainslapp
    Free Member

Ive got a Mukluk I may be looking to sell if its of interest.?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Salsa Beargrease’ is closed to new replies.