Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Salisbury to the sea (Charmouth)
  • jerrys
    Free Member

I’m planning a little jaunt to the seaside and thinking of leaving Salisbury via the Chalke Valley then along the Ox Drove to Monksdown (above Berwick St John) and down the bridlepath to Tollard Royal where I’ll pick up the dorset ridgeway to Charmouth.

A little googling has shown that DaveB of this parish did the ridgeway bit and didn’t really enjoy it, however I’m sure I’ve also read somewhere on this forum that someone else had done it recently, but i can’t find it. I’m thinking of breaking the journey near Plush (a friend has a farm near there) so will be taking a tent (or might stay in the pub). I’ll probably be returning via the same route or close to it. Has anybody got experiences they want to share about it?

thanks

cinnamon_girl

thomthumb is your man, do a search on here.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

And, in the name of all that is good in the world, cut down your steerer before you go!

😉

tom200

Good pub that, the brace of pheasants. The route will involve lots of wet chalk, so choose tyres wisely.

jerrys
    Free Member

And, in the name of all that is good in the world, cut down your steerer before you go

No need cap’n, I’ll probably do it on the CdF 🙂

When I do finally cut the Kaff steerer down, I’ll come and present it to you 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😀 (Would need to make an appointment, I’m afraid! Am now only making occasional special guest appearances, as I’m back in my “normal” world again!)

FieldMarshall

Jerrys

Havnt done the Ox drove in ages but in Winter its normally a slog due to the deep ruts caused by the 4×4.

Dries out ok in summer.

Ps i think we’ve met!

jerrys
    Free Member

Ps i think we’ve met!

I do believe we have Mr F 🙂

I was even in your office this lunchtime (although you weren’t there obviously!

DavidB
    Free Member

The bits I hated were before Tollards from Axminster so I think you’ll be fine

article

jerrys
    Free Member

thomthumb is your man, do a search on here.

I’ve tried CG, either my use of the search function was totally inadequate or his account was buried deep in another thread!

cinnamon_girl

jerry – try posting on the Hampshire thread. His user name is spelled correctly. 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

Hello.

I rode it ages ago. the oxdrove was great but lots of the wessex ridgeway was steep, overgrown and hard to navigate.

we were singlespeed and bivvying so it might be better on gears. we started crewcerne so missed the western end.

Fantastic scenery though.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/bBidro]2012-04-21_11-01-46_92_stitch[/url] by <JamesD>, on Flickr

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Salisbury to the sea (Charmouth)’ is closed to new replies.