• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by awh.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • SPAM Winter Challenge – Cancelled
  • awh
    Free Member

Only just read this on Twitter so sorry if it’s old news. Seems to be due to the land agents not giving SPAM Biking the licence they require to run the event. Really disappointed.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Man, that’s a shame. A great event, run by great people.

Being on military land is an awkward one. Used to live in the middle of the Plain and for the most part it was all open access, as long as you remembered who owned the place and that they ALWAYS had right of way. Putting on a big event like that on military land must be fraught with issues.

The SPAM folks are excellent, and they’ll always rise again.

awh
    Free Member

The roads to Imber are open at the moment (I went there on Wednesday) so it can’t be due to the land being required for training.

oxym0r0n

No licence from land agents it says on their website…

eskay

Shame, great event

brassneck

Oh poo, I actually had an appropriate bike this time. SPAM seem to be having a hard time of it this year hope they persevere – if you’re reading this, your efforts are appreciated.

allthepies
    Free Member

All part of the MOD hard-ball approach to MTB access on their land ?

awh
    Free Member

All part of the MOD hard-ball approach to MTB access on their land ?

I don’t think so, the Imber road is open and lots of the route uses rights of way open all year anyway. SPAM think Landmarc (the land agent MoD use) failed to produce the environmental impact report and hence the licence wasn’t given. Since the Winter Challenge has been happening for years it seems very poor service from Landmarc.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘SPAM Winter Challenge – Cancelled’ is closed to new replies.