Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Salisbury Plain help needed
  • MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I'm trying to plan a route for myself which will take me from Andover to Stockbridge then over to Collingbourne Woods via Salisbury Plain.
    Having never riden on the Plain before is there anything I need to know regarding access or is it all open. Looking on the OS map there seems to be regions marked as danger areas and my route will come quite close to them. Will I be okay or will I be shot at by Soldiers and Apache Helicopters on exercise?
    I'm planning to do this route tomorrow so any local advise would be greatly appreciated. 😀

TooTall
    Free Member

READ THIS

Look for red flags / lanterns and avoid them and the area around them!

paulfulford
    Free Member

What's your route? My parents live down there and I'm looking for new routes when I visit?

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

What's your route?

I'll be working out a route tonight. I can send you a gpx file of it when i've created it.
    Where do your parents live? You could always tag along with me when you're next down. Most of my routes end up with a blast through Collingbourne Woods.

paulfulford
    Free Member

I'll be working out a route tonight. I can send you a gpx file of it when i've created it.
    Where do your parents live? You could always tag along with me when you're next down. Most of my routes end up with a blast through Collingbourne Woods

That would be great both the gpx and a guide!

Parents are in Goodworth Clatford

brassneck

The Collingbourne/Everleigh side you're likely to cross rarely has live firing, I've ridden there numerous times at weekends with no issues even on non bridleway roads.. there's some cheeky singletrack hidden amongst the trees in places, though you are more likely to run over a squaddie on a weekday. I have stopped for a drink and genuinely not noticed the camo'd up tank about 10 yards away, though that probably says more about me than anything. TooTalls link sums it up best though, if it looks didgy, find a road route around.

You might be best going a little north of Everleigh (the right turn into a byway on the Pewsey road, just before the road turns hard left), across to Sunton and into the woods via Herridge Stud (avoid early mornings and late afternoons when the nags are out), that way you start at the top of the woods without a long boring fire road climb that would not be massively enjoyable after a few hours in the saddle.

Can't help you south of the 303 sorry, only get down there on the road bike.

Count me in for a copy of your route though, might get to have a crack myself later in the year 🙂

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Thanks.
    I've just mapped the route and the part of the Plains i'll be going on is from Over Wallop up to Shipton Bellinger past the west side of Tidworth and up to Everleigh, from there into Collingbourne Ducis and across to the woods. Total route length is 55 miles.
    I'll be doing it tomorrow so once i've got the correct routing through Collinbourne Woods i'll email a copy over. 😀

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Landranger map 184
    best route I know all bridleway (nearly) You wont be near any live firing areas at all. Not much around Everleigh, would bother.

start just North of Grately – follow Roman road SW then right to Boscoebe village

Boscombe village go north on bridleway to Boscombe Down West – (west end of Boscombe down airfield runway, cant miss it 🙂

Go NE under A303 towards Shipton Bellinger

Shipton Bellinger go east on to top of the ridge and go North towards Tidworth until A3026.

You can go straight across here its all MOD exercise area no live firing and head NE over the hill towards jnct A342/A346 where you pick up the trail under the old railway bridge to Collingbourne woods

enjoy 🙂

Bulford ridge is worth the climb for the view if nothing else, ride along the top then bear right in to the woods at the NE end for good trails then down to Shipton Bellinger.

Just keep on past the airfiled to a303, straight across a303 (carefully) on to trail. Sharp right up road at the end of trail back up hill towards a303. trail to Bulford ridge on your left alongside the wire fence after 400m. Follow nose up hill to top of ridge. Great blast along the top.

clump
    Free Member

If you're passing Over Wallop, pop in for a coffee just moved there. Looking for routes so would be interested in a GPX, and maybe a meet up.

Oh sorry not tomorrow off to Switzerland- with the bike.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

If you're passing Over Wallop, pop in for a coffee just moved there. Looking for routes so would be interested in a GPX, and maybe a meet up.

Oh sorry not tomorrow off to Switzerland- with the bike.
    I'm quite new to exploring the south and west side of Andover as I usually go north but now I have a decent sat nav i'm keen to explore. If you want company to find new stuff then email me when you're back and we could meet up.
    Enjoy switzerland.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Tomorrow? What's the matter with work you lazy git?!

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

It's a college day. Popping in first thing to tidy things up and then home late morning which leaves the afternoon free.
    Are you dropping in on Saturday?

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Every day's a college day, but i can't go riding!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

There's some fun to be had in the woods up to the right of the A338 North of Shipton Bellinger if you know where to look…!

You could try a bimble down the back of Monxton/Amport sort of area, as there's a lot there. Then in to Over Wallop, across towards the Malet at Newton Tony (Have the burger, rare.) and then up and on towards the heart of the Plain – You can cut up towards Netheravon on the dry and dusty chalklands (Stop at Stonehenge Ales and try the Heelstone from the brewery tap) and then head across, via a play at the Tracked Vehicle Driver Training Area in the shadow of Sidbury Hill at Tidworth. Then, up and over the hill to Collingbourne.

Finish off with a pint and dinner at the Hatchet in Chute.

Tidy.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Salisbury Plain help needed’ is closed to new replies.