Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Salisbury
  • tops5
    Free Member

Any good riding around there? Prolly going for a long weekend in May, looks like the New Forest might be the best bet?

Any routes/advice welcome!

Amos
    Free Member

There are a few guys from Salisbury on here, I grew up there but am not the best person to ask really as I’ve not lived there for a few years. Best to head out towards Wilton plenty of trails out that way, and of course the plain but beware of tanks and line firing!
    There is some stuff out towards downton too. The new forest can be a little dull how ever, but that might be just the trails I used to ride.

Also you could try uk bike park not that far from Salisbury if you feel like getting sick and gnarly

tops5
    Free Member

Thanks Amos will check those out except UK Bike Park (not gnarl these days!)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

There’s plenty of lovely wide open spaces to play with on the Plain. Not tech, but wonderful riding. There are also lots of good things to be found in the woods around the area if you know where to look!

Are you going to be in the City or outside somewhere?

There’s also my favourite bike shop in the world, on Fisherton Street – Stonehenge Cycles.

Oh, and there’s HopBack and Stonehenge breweries to keep you fluid….

tops5
    Free Member

We are going to East Dean if that means anything?

Amos
    Free Member

Yes a visit to the Wyndham arms on escourt road is a must! Meet the locals and you may even see Phil from time team in there, Now he’s a character!

Anna-B
    Free Member

Lovely riding round here (Salisbury) From the city centre I can be on a bridleway after one mile on the road! There are lots of great routes – I did 25-30 mile loop today starting in town. Difficult to suggest routes, maybe let me know how far you want and I’ll try. I thought the NF was boring too, but did a very nice loop there with a friend before Christmas.

Not a huge fan of Plain riding – rather bleak for my liking, but did a lovely day out route with C_G there a while ago.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

East Dean?

Can I recommend dinner at the Star in Tytherley? Very nice food, and very good ale.

You could do a nice tracks and trails ride to Stockbridge as well – Try Thyme & Tide, very nice new deli and purveyors of the best bacon sarnie around. Caviste for wine, Robinsons for meat.

Not much help re trails, I’m afraid, as I just sort of go out and ride, never really mapped anything out.

tops5
    Free Member

Might leave the bike and stay in the pubs!

lucien

Plenty of good singletrack particualrly rideable on the doorstep around East / West Dean, Dean Hill, Farley and then down towards Alderbury & Downton – a good OS map will show you the tracks / trails. New Forest would be ok if you want a sandy, flat and featureless XC long ride. Really depends on how far you want to ride / travel…???

TimCotic
    Free Member

You might want to keep an eye on the website of The New Forest Mountain Bike Club (www.newforce.org.uk). They do a Fortnightly Sunday ride (locations and map of start point listed on the Website). The faster group (Vindaloos) often do Saturday. They welcome guests but they might ask you to join after 3 rides. The membership fee is an outrageously expensive £10 year! They know their routes blindfolded so you’d get to ride with no navigation worries.
    Timmy.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Dangerous, old chap, dangerous…Some truly epic pubs in the area;
    The Malet – Newton Toney. Best. Pub. EVER. FACT.
    The Star, as mentioned above.
    The Three Cups, Stockbridge. Lovely place for a beer by the fire.
    The Peat Spade, Longstock. A little gastro these days, but still worthwhile.
    The Wyndham, as mentioned above, a beer mecca.
    The Swan, Enford – A truly marvellous little pub. If you’re there in spring, try Stig’s utterly mad Sign of Spring. (Beer that has travelled only a few miles always tastes better, even if it is green!)
    And so many more…! 🙂

peteimpreza

Is the Haunch of Venison still worth a visit?

Anna-B
    Free Member

Pete Haunch yes, most character of any pub in the town centre by a long way.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Salisbury’ is closed to new replies.