Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Salisbury
  • luke
    Free Member

Whats the place like to live? The wife may well end up working in the city within the next 12 months, so we might be relocating there.
    Were used to living in the country so would prefer one of the outlying villages say within a 5-10 miles radius of the city, any recommendations on places to look?
    Also what are the schools like in the area? is it a 2 or 3 tier school system?
    And yes I’m aware of the local breweries and Stonehenge cycles.

beaker

Have a look on the western edge of Salisbury- Mrs Beaker grew up in a little village 20 minutes from Salisbury. Most of the villages are quite picturesque(sp?). The Woodford valley (north of Salisbury) puts Salisbury Plain in fairly easy reach

scottishbadger
    Free Member

I grew up in the Winterbournes which are a few miles north east of Salisbury. Ruralish, quiet and some good riding nearby (road and offroad), cut my MTB teeth around there when I was a nipper.

Went to school elsewhere so can’t comment!

It’s a decent place, only marred by the odd squaddie fight of a Saturday night. Don’t expect amazing things from Salisbury, I don’t think I would move back…

Oh and I did my work experience in Stonehenge Cycles…much better place now!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, it’s a lovely town. There’s Bird and Carter on Butcher Row for great coffee and tasty waitresses (Also, the Polly if that’s your thing!).

There’s Great Western Camping, a really good outdoor shop. There’s a good Waterstones, s simply superb Waitrose on the edge of town, in fact, there’s pretty much everything you could need.

Nightlife is indeed poor, but who went out on a Saturday night in a town centre recently, eh? If you want bad, try Amesbury….!

As to living, the Winterbournes are lovely. Nice pubs, great countryside, and you can ride in to town. Head North up the Avon valley and there are some lovely villages, Figheldean and Netheravon spring to mind. Head West and it can get more expensive.

Beer? Well, there’s Stonehenge Ales, HopBack and the Hidden Brewery. What’s not to like?

Food? The market is fantastic, especially the lovely Poliish olive stall (don’t ask!) and the WI and local produce folks. You’re not far from the John Lewis estate up the road and the best butchers in the world, Robinson’s in Stockbridge. Restaurants and pubs? Plenty of good ones. The Malet in Newton Tony is a personal favourite.

Bike shops? Stonehenge Cycles. ’nuff said. Great people, great banter, regular choccy cake and a really good range of stuff for people who ride, as well as enough bling to drool over.

Schools? Educated elsewhere as well, but there are a couple of great grammar schools there, Bishop’s and South Wilts Grammar.

Riding? Lovely wide open spaces on the Plain, great little lanes and tracks around the edges of town and not far from a whole load more good stuff.

Lovely city, really lovely. May move out there full time soon.

JulianA
    Free Member

CFH – you forgot to mention Caviste wine merchants in Stockbridge: surely you buy your wine there? Lovely place, and really nice people running it!

Of course we have their HQ down the road (literally, about 300 yds) from us, so we don’t need to travel that far (except for the pleasure of visiting Stockbridge). Or perhaps you have your wine delivered?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ah yes, the ever lovely Caviste with the ever cheerful Rachel…! I do use that now and again, when not having a delivery from Berry’s.

Good place, really good at sharing/developing wine knowledge with customers. Oh, and more Stockers goodness of course includes Robjents!

JulianA
    Free Member

Rachel is indeed charming. As are the people who own and run Caviste!

Not to mention The Greyhound in Stockbridge… And The Peat Spade gets good write-ups… Of course The Greyhound in Overton is our local – always good. In fact, just returned from there now!

Back to Salisbury: Cathedral Close, Mompesson House, Old Sarum all good

The traffic’s mad though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

(Three Cups better than the Greyhound, much less up itself!)

Traffic in Salisbury? Use the Park and Ride or a bike. Problem solved! 😉

The Close is indeed lovely for a summer picnic, and the carol service in the Cathedral is an utter joy. (Was might cold in the queue this year, though!)

JulianA
    Free Member

There was a Carol Service this year in Salisbury Cathedral? We haven’t even got as far as the Summer Solstice!

Will try the Three Cups: is it on the High Street?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, same end as the Greyhound. Almost opposite, actually.

Star in Tytherley is worth a look as well.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Went to college there 20 years ago. Not the most inspiring town centre, could waste an hour or two around the cathedral though.
    A few folks off here live there so there should be people to ride with.
    If you don’t mind quarter of an hour on the train, somewhere like Grately could be nice to live.

luke
    Free Member

I like Stocksbridge, haven’t been up there for a couple of years, if the sun’s shining next week I’ll take a run up and get some lunch with the wife. My old man went to school there for a bit.

Amos
    Free Member

Born and inbred there! Not such a bad place, it’s a great base I always thought, not too far from something interesting, I mean the coast is only 45 mins away and you’re only ever half an hour from some good trails and UK bike park is about 25 miles and has great riding!

The town centre is a bit run down nowadays but some OK shops. Few good pubs Moloko, Cluedo (mates bar) terrible night clubs (went downhill when concordes shut IMO)

Must recommend the Wyndham Arms for real ale and a bit of celebrity spotting ! (Phil from time team drinks there OH yes!)

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Downhill when concordes shut! Blimey! Is the arts centre in the church still open? saw some good bands there at the turn of the 80s/90s.

There’s only one s in Stockbridge, and not a lot else apart from a few houses i’ve worked on.

luke
    Free Member

Grately is a bit further than we’d like.
    Were going to have a butchers around the Winterbourne’s, and Porton and an arc through Pitton, Alderbury, to Coombe Bissett, that way it should be fairly easy for us to get back across the border in to Dorset to see the family.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Concords……*shudders*…….

Amos
    Free Member

Ah come on I think I knew every bugger in there, and whilst we’re at it Salisbury rugby club disco!! COME ON!!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Salisbury’ is closed to new replies.