Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Salcombe, Devon and surrounding areas…..
  • Thinking of where to drag the caravan to next – looks nice from the photos I’ve seen. Who’s been and what did you think?

Also – and quite importantly, anything there to entertain an 11yo girl if it rains?

headfirst
    Free Member

Home

Not strictly ‘rain-proof’ but not a bad place to go.

transapp
    Free Member

It’s a great place, we are lucky enough to get to use a house just past south sands. Plenty of water sports, sailing, kayaking, water skiing etc. Good pubs, good food (oyster shack is stunning) and some good riding (although the best I found were cheeky trails).
    No idea on an 11yr olds prefered activities though!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    joolsburger
    Free Member

It’s lovely in Salcome. I’ve been there lots.

If the weathers good there are several lovely beaches, I can’t say there is too much to do locally for a youngster however 1/2 hour in the car and there are a few things/towns nearby. I suppose it depends what she likes to do.

It’s a lovely little town, surprisingly expensive though.

Cheers transapp.

@ headfirst, cheers for the suggestion, but looks more of a 5-8yo biased park. She’s 11 in August, but going on 15…

*edit*

jools – she’s an adrenaline junkie, and not really into anything overly educational such as museums, gardens and the like, so there has to be some thrill – or money to spend on clothes/other stuff… 😡

qwerty
    Free Member

grockles 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😆 @ qwerty!

Salcombe Dairy Ice Cream is a must….

Hire a boat from Whitestrand, head out beyond Wolf Rock and go mackerel fishing. Or, play with the tides on a run up to the pub at South Pool (Great fun planing the boat back from there at night after a few too many, trying to beat the tide!)
    Spend far too much money in all the poncey faux-sailing clothing shops. (I remember when Crew used to be a real chandlery, and a lovely one at that)

How about getting her on a course at the ICC as well, perhaps? Learn to sail.

Bit young to be boozing at the Ferry, but only just….! 😉

nickjb
    Free Member

Its a lovely part of the world, we go a couple of times a year for long weekends. Mostly water based stuff. Sailing, Surfing, Kayaking, etc. Most of those you can do in the rain but they’re more fun in the sun. There’s not a lot if it rains, a few caves, a top secret nuclear bunker and some over priced shops. Plymouth isn’t far if you get stuck, not sure what would suit an 11 year old but the aquarium and gin distillery are good.

joolsburger
    Free Member

There is a large Jack Wills there that seems to keep both my nieces happy for longer than expected and a few other shops along the high street but other than that I concur with everyone else. Fishing, Saling etc, you know, seaside stuff!

Oh and crabbing, lots of crabbing.

trambler

I’ve dragged my tin tent down that area a few times. Echo what others have said, can be tough with kids if it rains especially if its cold too. However there’s some great beaches nearby. Reasonable surf at Thurlestone and a good pubs scattered about. Worth spending a day a Bigbury on Sea aswell. Quite a few small coves/beaches on the opposite of the estuary to Salcombe worth exploring. The weather definitely makes it or breaks it.

trailmonkey

take a machine gun and hose down the second home owners as they arrive for their one week of occupancy.

jam-bo

just took a walk down totnes high street. You can tell its summer, strange mix of toffs and hippies.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Quite a few small coves/beaches on the opposite of the estuary to Salcombe worth exploring.

The right side of the estuary, you mean? 😉

sambob
    Free Member

I’m on the right side of the estuary at the moment on holiday, 10th year on the trot. Fantastic beaches, good watersports, good fishing and superb food. Some riding but not much. ICC courses are brilliant, good instructors and the novelty of being based on an old mersey ferry just adds to the experience. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Daniel
    Free Member

Off to Salcombe on Friday for the 2nd time this year. Great place, kids love the beaches, sailing etc… 🙂

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Go to Hope Cove (about 15 mins from Salcombe). It’s an awesome little bay with a couple of great eaterys, two nice beaches and some nice walks.
    Plus I got married there a year ago 🙂

CountZero

I love the whole area, used to stay in Beesands just around the coast back around the time I left school, ’69-71. Family friend used to tow a touring ‘van down to a caravan site there. Site was shut around ’82, and I went back there last October for the first time since then. Stayed in the Cricket Inn, fantastic food and great beer. Lots of excellent walking all around there, along to Hallsands and the ruined village, around Start Point and along to Lannacombe Bay and Woodcombe Cove, then back overland to Hallsands and Beesands. Kate Bush loves it down there and owns a house in 17 acres, which is just glorious. Going back down end of September for a week, this time I want to visit the lighthouse, it closes end of September.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Salcombe, Devon and surrounding areas…..’ is closed to new replies.