Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Salad to go with curry?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Other half doesn’t like rice or naan

Is there a good salad recipe to go with a curry? Maybe coriander, tomato, etc.

z1ppy

Chips, the choice is rice or chips (or half and half) 😉
    They’re made from vegetables, near enough ‘healthy’ (till ya fry em)

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Chappatis

Doesn’t like rice or naan? WTF.

Best salad is the limp lettuce and tomato with a slice of lemon you get with a takeaway, smothered in mint sauce and onion.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Mango salad goes well with curry, especially chicken curry. I usually make a mango salsa with loads of fresh coriander, red onions, diced mango, tomatoes etc.

JPR
    Free Member

Cauliflower rice.

wwaswas

Pasta?

Cougar

Poppadoms?

Speaking as a picky eater, how can you not like rice? It’s tasteless, does she also dislike water and breathing?

thomthumb
    Free Member

loads of good indian sald type relishes.

my favourite is tomatoes, cucumber, coriander, and fresh chillis. i’d reduce the chillis if serving as a side rather than a relish maybe add onion too.

Jedi told me about a frozen bengali salad – really hot chillis, but cold. sounds great.

julie sahni’s book has lots of good options

Hobster
    Free Member

Thinly sliced red onion, tomato and cucumber.

Bit of cumin, salt and pepper finished off with lime juice.

scotroutes

More curry

jambalaya
    Free Member

Just put more veg into the curry, potatoes, chick peas etc. As above try chipattis

No, I don’t think there is a salad that goes with curry 😯

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Saag Bhaji.

A more important addition to any Indian meal than rice or naan for me.

aracer
    Free Member

Saag aloo on the side?

mogrim

Tomato, bit of onion, coriander. You could stick a bit of cucumber in there too.

But would depend a bit on what curry you’re eating – that might be too much tomato if you’re cooking a rogan josh, for example.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Thinly sliced red onion, tomato and cucumber.

We do something similar to that but with grated coconut too. Really though I’m never convinced that salad makes a great accompaniment to curry, mostly as it falls down on the conveying sauce to mouth function of chapattis/naans/rice/parathas. How about doing some dry veg dishes as a side they’re both tasty and absorb sauce:
    http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/asia/indian/03/rec0321.html
    http://redchillies.us/2011/07/06/indian-okra-fry-crispy-bhendi-fryrecipe/
    http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/indian-style-cauliflower

johndoh
    Free Member

This one from Jamie Oliver is nice (ignore the main meal part obviously – although that is very nice too).

http://hotcooking.co.uk/recipes/32/jamie-oliver-30-minute-meals-asian-style-salmon

I’ve not had it with Indian curry, but I am sure it will work especially with sweeter curries like dhansak or even a biryani.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

You’d struggle to replace the rice with a salad in a Biryani.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Ok, I am now contemplating indian food for lunch.

seosamh77
    Free Member

JPR – Member
    Cauliflower rice.

This is a surprisingly good substitute.

Daffy

Butternut squash, cut into 15mm cubes, and roasted in the oven until soft

into a hot frying pan add 1TBS of oil,
    2tsp of Tumeric,
    1tsp Garmasala,
    4 crushed cardamom pods,
    1TBS of brown sugar or molasis/honey,
    heat for a minute, then add the squash and some spice if you want it, cook for a further 3-4 minutes

Allow to cool, serve with yoghurt and some pomegranate.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Just do a nice indian style ‘slaw. Shredded carrot, onion, white cabage, red cabbage, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, mild chilli sliced into matchsticks, coriander, lime or lemon juice, salt and pepper.

If you do it in advance you find the lemon/lime juice pickles the veg a little, and softens the onions.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Other half doesn’t like rice or naan

Boiled eggs and 2 pints of Newky Brown, them make her sleep in the spare room 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

You’d struggle to replace the rice with a salad in a Biryani.

Hah yes, point there.

😳

jamj1974

Keep it simple! I grew up with home cooked and authentic Mauritian Asian cuisine (Thanks Dad!). Most truly Asian salads I have ever come across are very straightforward.
    – Red onion with cucumber,salt and pepper
    – Tomato with spring onion, salt and pepper

Chapati are fine as Asian breads go. They are a pale shadow of rhe amazing and wholesome dhal puri. Look up Mauritian dhal puri and make it. You won’t regret it!

jamj1974

Indian cuisine is full of great spicy potato dishes too!

wilburt
    Free Member

Not salad exactly but Ive been making my own Cucumber and Mint Raita recently, its mega easy, recipes all over the web and well worth the effort.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As an aside Delia has a recipe with a Spanish style spiced beef stew with a side salad of red onion, lots of corriander and a lime dressing. But I stand by my comment that salad doesn’t go with curry, I’m perfectly happy to eat the curry without rice, I recall the M&S chicken jalfreizi is 350 cals and the rice the same – I’m happy to eat twice as much curry instead of the rice 🙂

chip
    Free Member

Slap it on some toast, jobs a good’un.

jamj1974

Dice 2 large potatoes into 1.5cm cubes and parboil. Drain and allow to cool so steam escapes. Crush dessert spoon of cumin seeds with salt and then mix with 1/2 teaspoon turmeric. Finely slice a medium hot chilli after first removing seeds and membrane. Chop 1/4 buch coriander Heat a little ground nut oil in a wok and when hot add cubes of potato and cook until light golden-brown. At this point add cumin, salt and turmeric mix and sliced chilli. Fry further until mid-brown and add chopped coriander. Drain on kitchen towel and serve with curry.

You can do identically with cauliflower florets but with less frying required.

jamj1974

Aubergine fritters are also a great thing with curry. Toast some cumin and mustard seeds in a dry pan then grind with a little salt. Slice a firm aubergine and scatter with a little more salt to draw out some of the water. Chop some sping onion. De-seed and remove the membrane from a chilli and slice finely. Make a medium thick batter with some flour and sparkling water. Add spring onion, cumin, salt and mustard seed mix. Add spring onion and chilli. Heat oil in deep fat fryer or in a very deep saucepan – deep enough to deep fry. Coat slices of aubergine in batter and deep fry until a mid-golden brown.. Serve immediately!

jamj1974

If you are having a full Asian meal – salad is always essential! Asian food is about balance. Heat and coolness, sweetness and astringency.

Pickles are another thing you need to have!

yunki
    Free Member

We had a pile of quinoa with cucumber and coriander with curry last night as my other half is a bit carb-phobic

cp

Right, curry for tea now.

sic_nick

What’s this frozen Bengali salad then?

benslow
    Free Member

T H I S Leons recipe is king when it comes to accompanying a curry …

(I leave out the lemon and big the coriander, seeds and sultanas)

brassneck

More curry?

kayak23

molgrips
    Free Member

There are loads of Indian breads besides naan. Paratha seem popular with the Indians I know, and are also popular with me 🙂 Dead easy to make, hardly any more bother than boiling rice.

Salad would be a great low carb/idave option though.. hmm.. We tend to make the curry then chuck loads of chickpeas or lentils in it and eat the whole lot from a bowl all in one.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Benslow’s salad is a good shout although we tend to use shit loads of lemon when we do it.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Salad to go with curry?’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts