Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Saints/Pompey: The dividing line
  • enzee199
    Free Member

I’m trying to produce a map of the saints/pompey rivalry (sort of like a US presidential election electoral College map) – mainly to see if Locks Heath is the dividing line between the two sets of supporters.

I’ve created a survey monkey questionnaire which takes approx 2 seconds.

Everyones help hugely appreciated

scaredypants

Is disenfranch

I live in a SO postcode but don’t support either 🙁

(seriously, WTF ?? – surely it’s where you were born, not where you live, hence me “supporting” the boro)

garage-dweller

Scaredypants it’s ok.
    You can move from SO to a better place.
    😛

scaredypants

I work in Pompey

😐

garage-dweller

Locks Heath the DMZ of south hants!

Scaredy you are half way to a better life already…

slackalice
    Free Member

Work! Pah! Part timer.

Try living here 😯

enzee199
    Free Member

Tbh I toyed with putting a ‘neither’ option in there but the object is just to see if there are more saints fans, or pompey fans (or, if they’d admit fans of both) in each area – as I say like a US presidential election map where there’s only two parties.

Where you are born is definitely important, but I’m hoping that’ll come through in the results. there’s probably some die-hard Pompey fans living in the middle of Southampton and vice-versa.

I’ve got the feeling though that from the experience of living in one city but working in the other that there isn’t much movement of people between the two – certainly much less than if Solent City would have become a reality.

DezB
    Free Member

I work in Fareham and theres a fair few Saints supporters there, so I think it might be east of locks heath

enzee199
    Free Member

Titchfield maybe?

I’d probably give Fareham to Pompey 65-35

Will be really interesting to see the results.

garage-dweller

Enzee I do know a die hard pompey Fan or two working in Southampton.

I am not of Hampshire heritage but my wife is pompey born and bred so I am more pompey by association!

I have lived in PO and SO areas and don’t get wound up by football full stop. My eldest loves red but he is definitely pompey.

enzee199
    Free Member

We had a mix at work, lots more Pompey than Saints though.

For me it’s just a bit of fun. Definitely not one of the idiots that goes round throwing punches over it.

meehaja
    Free Member

Live in Leeds, support the saints. Why? Cos I’m not a *offensive swear of your choice*

bikemike1968
    Free Member

Live in Southampton, support the mighty Leeds. Why? Apparently I’m a (insert expletive here).

Back on topic, I also reckon Titchfield. Most of Locks Heath is red.

ffej
    Free Member

Live just East of Titchfield, work in SO. Support Newcastle, closest team to my place of birth. Think Fareham’s more Pompey than Saints though.

Jeff

slackalice
    Free Member

Do you suppose that the apparent lack of mobility and general ambivalence between the two, still exists because of the old dock disputes?

There seems to be some from both cities that cite that, I just wonder how prevalent it is, or is it there because the newer generations since have forgotten the reason why animosity was created in the first place?

StefMcDef
    Free Member

I live in Cowes, which seems a solidly Southampton-supporting place. Inlaws on the other side of the Isle of Wight are Pompey fans. I guess it boils down to which ground you can reach more easily by ferry.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Isn’t there a de-facto Solent City given the development at Whitely and the planned Welbourne?

enzee199
    Free Member

Yeah, that was an argument put forward in this book that Solent City has actually come about piecemeal

hora
    Free Member

I used to see Matt LeTisser everywhere when he was playing there

superfli
    Free Member

Lived just outside Pompey pretty much all my life (a few years in Winch). Born in Southampton. Support both really, although I dont actually show my support for Saints :). I’m a Liverpool FC supporter.

I can tell you that having gone to both St Marys and Fratton Pk to watch Liverpool play, its a damn site more friendly at Pompey, sitting with home fans, but supporting Liverpool. Comments and general bad vibes when my son and I didnt stand and applaud a Saints goal last time.

40mpg

I work in Segensworth.

<<<that side of the office is red, that side is blue>>>

And Pompeys training ground is in Southampton!

Personally, I couldn’t give a monkeys, however a certain cider drinking fat bike rider off of here is a staunch saints fan. He used to work for a company supplying food to Fratton Park. And he’s got some interesting personal photos 😀

ohnohesback
    Free Member

PFC have moved their training away from That Place now.

enzee199
    Free Member

Got to just over 100 responses, so will be making some graphs and maps real soon – but any more responses (especially from Saints fans) would be brilliant.

The link is here

enzee199
    Free Member

I have now (finally) completed the write up which is here. Just to say thanks to everyone who helped.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

You have Thorney Island, Emsworth, and Gosport as scum. Your survey is crocked.

enzee199
    Free Member

You have Thorney Island, Emsworth, and Gosport as scum. Your survey is crocked.

Yeah, that’s an interesting one. It’s down to there being quite a low number of people identifying as supporters of either club in the areas outside the actual city boundaries meaning they can easily be swung by the odd vote.

What it shows – for both cubs is that the core support in the region is highly concentrated and that in those areas outside the boundaries i.e Gosport, Hedge End and the like there are far fewer people regarding themselves as supporters of the clubs.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Saints/Pompey: The dividing line’ is closed to new replies.