Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Saint vs. Pro II – which reat hub?
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

Toying up with an idea. New Saint (I already have a rotor) or Pro II? 135mm rear. Ideas please.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

My Saint front is my favourite hub ever. Also have a Pro2 wheelset too.

Its the older model, but its excellent.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Having currently got a Pro2 shod wheelset on order, I’ve been paying more attention to threads talking about them.

It seems every half hour someone is moaning about them, breaking flanges, going wobbly, having rubbish bearings, having the freehub body scored, being a pain etc etc.

So I’d say Saints.

ononeorange

Always used Hope hubs, no complaints at all just to balance the views. Reliable, easy to change bearings, minimal maintenance.

Can’t comment on Shimano hubs – never used them.

darrell
    Free Member

got hope pro 2 on my BFe….they work….noisy but they work fine

Hairychested
    Free Member

I have an old XC (5-bolt one) and it’s great, the Pro II needed a service after 5 years. Shimano? Haven’t used it for years but the rotor is here already.

lcj

Do the new saints have sealed bearings yet? That was enough to put me off the old saint hubs. Plus the freewheels on my mates are proper turd – clog up and spin freely in both directions with alarming regularity

Adam@Homers
    Free Member

Do you want noisy or quiet freewheeling?

timraven

Hopes’ every time for me. Easy to service, reliable, decent seals and I love the sound they make.

a11y

Love the fit and forget nature of Hope hubs. Whack them on, ride for at least 3 years, change the bearings, ride ro at least another 3 years. And change the pawls in the freehub occasionally too – mine (in my Hope XC) lasted 4 years before they started slipping/banging.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

jackthedog…the reason you hear so much about them is there are so many out there. They must outnumber any other hub by about 5 to 1!

Pro2 gets my vote. Easy to service, light, make a cool noise(love/hate thing) and interface can be changed (ie 9mm, QR, 20mm, 10mm bolt thru, 10mm bolt up)…oh and hopes customer service is amazing. If you do ever break anything they’ll pretty much replace it for free/very cheap.

Although i do like the saints disc interface, but cone bearings so you have to keep ontop of them.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I’d like Hope to make a centerlock (sp?) hub. Will they?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Saints require very little looking after. Prices are pretty similar just now, but Saint hubs often get reduced as they are never as popluar as Hope.

Hope have the advantage that they are fit and forget- lots of people like that, so they become popluar. People forget that the cup and cone system is very good- if you look after it. The Saint is well sealed.

Hope and centrelock won’t happen- they have done their own rotors (3 bolt) and centrelock isn’t hugely popular- I think only DT make hubs outside of the Shimano family that suit.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Saint vs. Pro II – which reat hub?’ is closed to new replies.