Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Saint Theresa
  • BoardinBob

No not our wonderful PM but the newly sainted Mother Theresa.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37269512

A lot of nonsense but what is particularly troubling is the two miracles they are attributing to her. That two people with cancer were cured by praying to her 🙄

That kind of message is downright dangerous. You run the risk of someone eschewing modern medicine or treatment and pinning their hopes on made up nonsense 😕

Sandwich

You run the risk of someone eschewing modern medicine or treatment and pinning their hopes on made up nonsense

Practical Darwinism at work.

gobuchul
    Free Member

You run the risk of someone eschewing modern medicine or treatment and pinning their hopes on made up nonsense

Practical Darwinism at work.

Like Steve Jobs?

RoterStern
    Free Member

This sums up my opinion of her.
    https://youtu.be/65JxnUW7Wk4

jam-bo

you run the risk of someone eschewing modern medicine or treatment and pinning their hopes on made up nonsense

You know homeopathy is available on the NHS?

RobHilton
    Free Member

You know homeopathy is available on the NHS?

The placebo effect can be very cost effective.

Edit: not suggesting it cures cancer BTW! I’ve worked with someone (in the NHS) who claimed reiki could cure cancer… I wasn’t impressed

jam-bo

I heard the less you spent on it, the more effective it became.

Northwind

The whole thing is weird. Without getting into the specifics of this one, it’s the greatest accolade the church can give someone but it puts their entire life and work in second place to finding a half-credible miracle after their death. But miracles are hard to find these days for some mysterious reason…

(in the case of John Paul II, a kick-ass pope (child abuse aside but, it’s the catholic church, you always have to add “child abuse aside”), it’s incredibly shoogly-the nun who was “cured” may have never had Parkinsons in the first place, and allegedly relapsed before he was canonised… So what’s that all about, was he a Top Pope or was he not?)

bensales
    Free Member

That nun was sadistic fanatic who did the world a favour by dying. Her patients suffered in horrendous conditions because she believed that suffering was her god’s will. Good riddance to her.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I suppose the whole miracle thing is just a system, the ‘civil servant’ (or whatever title they have in the Vatican) seemed quite pragmatic about them “we don’t ask the doctors and experts ‘is this a mirracle’, we ask them if they have an explanation”.

If someone finds solace praying then Ive no problem with that. One of the few positive things religion does.

As for some sort of controversy about Theresa herself, mehhh, no one is perfect, so she treated a lot of people that the Indian system had abandoned but didn’t treat others for various reasons. Do you criticise MacMillan cancer nurses for not treating HIV too?

bensales
    Free Member

No, I criticise her for not following basic medical hygiene such as not re-using needles. I criticise her for having her patients defecate in front of each other. I criticise her for not giving patients any more than basic painkillers.

All whilst her foundation is raking in millions in donations which is used to build churches rather than treat patients.

Trimix
    Free Member

I cant believe we still have this medieval b0ll0cks !

jamj1974

Bensales +1

slowoldman

Her patients suffered in horrendous conditions because she believed that suffering was her god’s will

Well OK but some survived. So that’s a miracle right?

Anyway, it’s good for the trinket business.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Saint Theresa’ is closed to new replies.