Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Saint rear mech with maxle?
  • mmchutchon
    Free Member

Just acquired an old and possibly original saint rear mech. Does anyone have experience of fitting these to a maxle rear end? It looks to me like i would need a new axle as a minimum with some kind of end cap to attach the mech, or else some kind of adaptor for the mech so it hangs off the conventional hanger. I’m fitting it to a 2007 patriot by the way.

Thanks,
    M

bigyinn
    Free Member

Didn’t the original Saint rear mechs mount directly to the rear axle?

mmchutchon
    Free Member

Yes, it appears so, hence the question. I’m trying to work out if it’s possible as the Maxle is not the same as a conventional 12 mm bolt-through axle. With the Maxle you don’t have such a long axle and no cap on the drive side.

Anyone got any ideas? Maybe I should try a more DH / FR orientated forum…

jemima
    Free Member

I think you’re going to struggle. Certainly no custom Maxle I’m aware of and no adapter between standard hanger to old Saint. If there was, the mech would be quite far away from its design position.

I think the Saint thread is an M12 but the Maxle is much coarser than this.

Its a horribly heavy old mech anyways…

honourablegeorge

Those old Saints were a 10mm bolt, you used a 10mm axle in a standard dropout, which threaded into the mech. I’d say you’re out of luck with the Maxle without mega bodging.

mmchutchon
    Free Member

Hmm, yes, I had a look last night and I don’t think it’s going to be worth the hassle. I shall politely return the mech from the friend at work and suggest he e-bay it or flog it on here…

Thanks for the advice!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Saint rear mech with maxle?’ is closed to new replies.