Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Saint Pedals Notchy WTH?
  • Kahurangi

Put one of my new Saint pedals on yesterday. Rode about 16 km, some jumps, some drops, nothing massive.

I was well impressed with the grip from the pedals, not so uch with the number of rock strikes I was getting. Enough of that though.

When lubing the chain afterwards I noticed the pedal was really notchy to rotate. It feels like the bearings have indentations in one position or so it indexes round – it’s not like a old and rough bearing. I didn’t notice it being notchy when I installed it.

Is this normal for Saint pedals? Do I need to wear them in or do I have a duff one? I’m a bit annoyed as I almost spent as long removing the washers under the screws as I did riding them 😉

jonnym92

Been running mine for a good few months hassle free. Don’t remember them being notchy at any point.. I would thought yours was defect.

Kahurangi

Aye that was my thoughts – feel as if the cone has been tightened up too much and left pits in the races.

I’ll be sending them back. Which actually mean I’ll be boxing them up and waiting for my trip back to the UK! TF for CRC’s 365 day returns 😀

singlesteed
    Free Member

Perhaps you bent the axle just riding along cough# rock strikes! (Rolls eyes)

svalgis
    Free Member

TF for CRC’s 365 day returns

While their return policy is great, you’d be covered against manufacturer defects for atleast a year regardless of place of purchase. 🙂

ricky1
    Free Member

Mine play up now and again,I can go miles with no problems then they will crunch like mad for a bit,there is a lot of play in them,I know someone else with the same problem,think I’ll cut my losses and bin them,good grip but crap design,quite surprised at shimano for knocking out dodgy pedals,not the lightest neither.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Lots of complaints about the saints – surprising as they can make a clipless pedal near bomb-proof, but their DH pedals seem to have passed QA by

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I know they’re cheap at CRC and they look shiney but cup and cone, really? Same money buys you light low profile sealed cartridge pedals from numerous different outlets.

Don’t fall for them!

goodgrief
    Free Member

slide the body off, adjust the preload and lock nut, re-fit the body and carry on.

Kahurangi

slide the body off, adjust the preload and lock nut, re-fit the body and carry on.

Pitted races are only going to get worse, rapidly.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I stuck mine on Mrs mcavennie’s ride in the end.

willej

They’ve not necessarily got pitted races, that’s an assumption, unless you’ve stripped them down to check?

As you can strip them down, being good old cup and cone, you could find there’s just not enough good grease in them, maybe a little bit of dirt or that the axle is slightly bent? Cup and cone bearings (in pedals, hubs or headsets) very rarely come well greased and optimally tensioned from the factory.

njee20
    Free Member

While their return policy is great, you’d be covered against manufacturer defects for atleast a year regardless of place of purchase.

And actually they’re now used, so you’re returning them as defective, not unwanted. After one ride id definitely say notchy bearings is bad, but after anything approaching a year… Jog on!

Goldigger
    Free Member

Mine are always developing a click after 15miles of riding. I’ve got bored of tightening them up now.
    Great grip but crap pedal.. Looking to replace them or just put my atacs on.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Pitted races are generally caused by corrosion. I suspect the cones just need a little adjustment to get them spinning smoothly again.

badbob
    Free Member

mine went a tad loose after 18 months and 1K of miles, opened them, degreased and refitted, perfect!

might be cup and cone, but easy to rebuild and adjustable for wear
    i like them

jamesoz

Undo the gold nut, slide the body off, half full the body with grease of choice, put it back together and watch the dirty grease ooze out of the seals. Cured mine of noise.

Kahurangi

they’re now used, so you’re returning them as defective, not unwanted

Yep they’re used once and faulty. My reference to one-year returns policy was clearly a red herring.

Pitted races are generally caused by corrosion. I suspect the cones just need a little adjustment to get them spinning smoothly again.

Yep, it’s not pitting I was just being lazy looking for the correct term. Likely I mean impacted or simple damaged from being over tightened at some point in manufacture assembly. 🙂

Undo the gold nut, slide the body off, half full the body with grease of choice, put it back together and watch the dirty grease ooze out of the seals. Cured mine of noise.

They’re not noisy, in fact far from it. Just damaged from new.

As you can strip them down, being good old cup and cone, you could find there’s just not enough good grease in them, maybe a little bit of dirt or that the axle is slightly bent? Cup and cone bearings (in pedals, hubs or headsets) very rarely come well greased and optimally tensioned from the factory.

Yea if I get another pair I’ll check them before I ride them… but as new I’d expect them to be not defective.

Anyway, thanks for all the responses especially when I wasn’t clear and correct with my terminology 😳

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Saint Pedals Notchy WTH?’ is closed to new replies.