Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Saint gear shifter/lever – how fit barrel adjuster?
  • walowiz

Hi, this may a newby question, but bought a new Saint 10 spd gear shifter for my bike and cannto figure out how or what to fit for the barrel adjuster ? There is no internal central thread like my basic Deore one, that the Saint shifter will replace.

Pic below, showing the new gear lever and the old barrel adjuster thing if anyone can assist – I’d really appreciate it.

I really don’t want to use inline adjusters.

thanks

]null

otsdr
    Free Member

The old adjuster seems to be missing the plastic housing with the detents:

The Saint shifter looks complete, ready to be mounted. Nothing to do here.

bigyinn
    Free Member

The barrel adjuster is supplied with the shifter. As far as I can see its there already.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    walowiz

thanks otsdr

Are you saying that I can just fit the new shifter as it is, with no adjuster required ?

Just slide the inner cable through the outer cable and the end of the outer cable will go into the bottom part of the Saint shifter ?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Are you saying that I can just fit the new shifter as it is, with no adjuster required ?

No, what we are saying is the adjuster is already fitted to the shifter. You don’t have to transfer anything from your old unit to the new one.

rocketman
    Free Member

Just slide the inner cable through the outer cable and the end of the outer cable will go into the bottom part of the Saint shifter ?

Yup that’s it

The ferrule of the gear cable fits into the housing on the shifter. Best to turn the adjuster out a few turns to allow some adjustment in both directions before you fit the cable

walowiz

Thanks Mister P

No, what we are saying is the adjuster is already fitted to the shifter.

Possibly the last total newby question on this, do I need anything on the end of the cable outer where it meets the adjuster on the Saint shifter ?

Or can the cable outer end just but up to the inside of the adjuster ?

And thanks for taking the time to help for what is probably obvious once you’ve done this a few times 🙂

otsdr
    Free Member

You need to fit a ferrule on the cable outer (black plastic cylinder in your image):

longmover
    Free Member

Just stick a cable end on the outer and you will be fine

Saint are a cracking shifter, once you have got used to the dual release you will shift both way with your thumb.

otsdr
    Free Member

The 10 sp Deore should be 2-way release as well…

walowiz

thanks guys !

The Deore it replaces is a good few years old, 9 shifter.

I ported it to my Prophet until I could upgrade to a new transmission 1×10, looking forward to using the Saint gear shifter !

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Have you downloaded the instructions from the shimano tech docs website, or read the ones that come in the packet (or used to anyway!)

walowiz

Have you downloaded the instructions from the shimano tech docs website, or read the ones that come in the packet (or used to anyway!)

yes, there isn’t much to the two page instruction pamphlet 🙂

I’m sure the two way release will make sense once I’m on the bike…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Saint gear shifter/lever – how fit barrel adjuster?’ is closed to new replies.