Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Saint Cranks – Double Ring Possibilities?
  • skimpy
    Free Member

Hello,

I am new to this “multiple gears up front” malarky and I am just trying to sort out exactly what I need. I currently have a set of Saint M815 cranks. I have always run them with just one ring. However, I now want to run a double up front.

Am I right that I can do this no problem by just putting an outer and a middle ring either side of the “spider”?

The cranks do not have threaded holes for the granny ring so wouldn’t work for a third ring but thats fine.

Does this sound about right?

steel4real
    Free Member

It sounds right but I’m pretty sure it will only work IF you can get the right front mech.

Shimano M815 cranks are 83mm BB shells aren’t they, which means the chainline is wider.

Shimano did make a 9 speed front mech (M815 or 817) specifically for the set up on 83mm BB – if you’ve got that then you should be OK.

skimpy
    Free Member

I have a Shimano SLX M676 Front Derailleur Direct Mount Top Pull – Double

The Saint’s are for an 83mm shell (which the new bike isnt quite as wide, so will have a degree of play I think to try and get a suitable chainline

steel4real
    Free Member

Well on paper, none of your parts, front mech, BB or cranks are compatible or the same series.

There are only 3 standard BB shell widths, 68, 73 & 83mm so your ‘degree of play’ is going to be 10mm !

Good luck – it may work and if it does be ‘bodgetastic’ 😉

skimpy
    Free Member

Oh dear…this is the problem of building a bike from spare bits! The cranks have come from my freeride bike, mech from the forum and the BB was what was recommended for frame (bloody press fit!!)

Been speaking to a guy selling Saint M810 triple cranks…would they suit my ram-shambles of a setup a little better?

steel4real
    Free Member

Skimpy – yes, the M810’s are for 68/73mm BB shell and replace the outer with a bash guard although I’m pretty sure the M810’s weren’t sold as a triple only single or twin and bash set up – double check you BB shell size first though as with press fit I assume you’re using some sort of adaptor ?

Does it have to be Saints ? SLX will be just as good for moat stuff, except DH/FR or if you’re a big guy.

skimpy
    Free Member

@steel4real – thanks for all your help. Right, I have measured the shell and it is 92mm.

I am now resigned to getting a new crankset and the only stipulation is that it will need to be Hollowtech II so it fits into the BB.

You suggest SLX? Do you know what model numbers I should be looking out for so I don’t continue this mismatched drive-train!

Thanks again!

honourablegeorge

M810s did come as a triple, I had them.

skimpy
    Free Member

Turns out the ones he is selling are M800’s. Any good?

steel4real
    Free Member

M800’s are fine, heavy but very strong – I’m still using mine (on a FR type bike) since 2007 :-).

steel4real
    Free Member

P.S I checked on what hg stated (I think I know him).

But as stock only the M800 series came as a triple. The M810 was only available as PN M810-1 and -2, ie only the single or twin and bash. Academic to us both but on this forum there’s always spurious information !

honourablegeorge

I just checked to – it was indeed an M800, bought years back in a sale, ‘cos nobody wanted them.

SHIMANO SAINT M800 CRANKSET TRIPLE175MM, 22/32/44

As for knowing me – I can only think of one bloke I know from Halifax, but I’m not sure he’s ever been on a bicycle. 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Saint Cranks – Double Ring Possibilities?’ is closed to new replies.