Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Saggy SS chain….
  • Kryton57

…. No more movement in the tensioner. It’s a kmc chain – can I buy spare half links or do i need a whole new “half link” chain?

Ringo
    Free Member

What the **** is with the small writing on threads

peanut
    Free Member

Half links from ‘velosolo’ ?

Ringo
    Free Member

Think my phones **** anyway, get another chain or bend the tensioner, failing that keep riding the **** till it keeps dropping

Kryton57

It does keep dropping. Problem is I’ve only done about 6 rides / 80 miles on it.

Cheezpleez

You can buy individual half links. There are usually some on ebay. However, it prob makes more sense to buy a whole chain if you’re planning on SSing long-term. That way you’ve got a ready supply.

honeybadgerx

I think CRC has got some cheap Spank SS half-link chains on the go

Militant_biker

I’ve always found one half link makes a massive difference to chain tension, and one was always enough when I used to have a tensioner.

mattjg
    Free Member

… so commit to SS with an EBB or slidey dropout frame.

Kryton57

But that would cost me more than £15…..

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Will it be too tight if you take a whole link out ?

Kryton57

Yet to try that Neil but it has crossed my mind.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member
    mattjg
    Free Member

… but you can’t price happiness.

wwaswas

Half link chains weigh an absolute ton!

just get the links …MBC has linked to.

Kryton57

How do I join them, bearing in min a SS chain needs take a fair bit of strain – just with the pins?, and er, which size of MBC’s links do I need… 😳

wwaswas

depends which chain you’re using 3/32’s is 9 speed.

they’ll either come with pins, you can use a couple fo shimano joining pins or a couple of SRAM links.

MSP

Chain “stretch” is a bit of a misleading description, its the wear around the pins that causes the appearance of stretching. On a single speed bike, the wear should be less, as the chainline is straight and there is none of the lateral movement associated with changing gears.

Are you by any chance using a sram pc1 chain? If so its crap, just replace it with a decent chain.

Kryton57

MSP – its a KMC B1.

GeForceJunky

You could also change gear ratio slightly.

Kryton57

*wibble*

mattjg
    Free Member

Kryton if you enjoy SSing get a proper one and be done. You know you’re going to anyway.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Get a Gusset push up tensioner. Dont faff about with half links.

Kryton57

mattjg look up ^^^ I’m sorely tempted, comes interested free spread over a few months too. The original (genesis altitude converted SS) was an experiment in SS.

glupton – I am using the Gusset but am at the limits of its extent.

Extra links ordered (JE James were out but Tredz have some same price).

glupton1976
    Free Member

kryton57 – what about if you use it to push down instead of up? IME when you get to the limits of the push up adjustment on the Gusset tensioner it’s time to take a full link out.

Kryton57

Push down causes the same problem. FWIW also glupton that KMC chain is slightly wider than the gap in the Gusset roller so doesn’t sit “in” it nicely, which is exaggerating the issue.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Must be a hell of a wide chain or a narrow roller. I use 1/8 chains and it takes up about 2/3s of the roller.

Kryton57

I beg your pardon glupton, its a DMR STS, bought 2nd hand. I also see the issue now, the STS is meant for a gear (ie narrower) chain…

mattjg
    Free Member

Kryton sure, I saw the pic. One thing I would say is light wheels are a big win on a SS 29er, the ‘dale and the others reviewed in STW are good bikes for their price point but it’s worth considering if you’d want to be changing the wheelset quite quickly or if you’re happy with them. (I’m not saying they’re not good bikes …).

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Well that answers one question I have been pondering, I too have a DMR STS and had wondered about using a singlespeed chain with them being so cheap. According to their website it wouldn’t fit, I take it you agree… Tempted by a new tensioner to go with cheaper chains…

Kryton57

Tracker, there is (my googling for a pic for Glupton has found) a DMR STS 2 which fits SS chains.

I’m going to remove a link / add a half link before I ditch mine though as it worked OK before the chain stretched.

Mattjg – I don’t want to / can’t invest in expensive bikes as I have high end FS and HT’s already, but am gagging to go 29er/rigid and SS for purity’s sake and have fallen for that ‘dale or a Kona Unit 2nd hand. Being able to “only” spend £600 interest free and over many months is a huge attraction. I could consider lighter wheels and Hydraulic brakes on that ‘dale when my cash flow situation improves but for now, it’d do very nicely as it is/until I wore them out maybe.

mattjg
    Free Member

for sure, wear them out! tough choice between the 2, I liked the look of the Cooker also, for its ‘Britishness’

let us know what you decide

oxym0r0n

To answer the question above – just push the lin back in to join the chain again.
    Oh, and I have a half-link on my ss with specific frame to get thw back end in really tight. When the chain wears a bit i’ll prob take it out.

eyerideit
    Free Member

^^^^^^^^^ It’s nice that Trail SL. ^^^^^^^^^

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Saggy SS chain….’ is closed to new replies.