Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Sag on Hardtails
  • funkmasterp

Just curious as to what sag, if any, people set on their hardtails? I’m forever faffing about with mine, but can never get it just right. Has anybody found that sweet spot where it doesn’t dive too much yet isn’t overly stiff?

treklee
    Free Member

Nope, mind don’t tend to sag that much, but uses all the travel on descents. Doesn’t Bob much either, works well for me

Kryton57

Depening on the length og the travel and intended use, sag should be 20-30% and use your low speed compression damping – usually a blue dial – to stop the fork diving.

qwerty
    Free Member

Sag is just one setting that keeps the wheel tracking the ground over bumpy stuff, if its diving through travel look at compression damping (also bottomless tokens if Rock Shox) instead.

What fork ❓

funkmasterp

It’s a 140 rev reduced to 120. Can never get it dialled in just right. Possibly over thinking and messing with it too much. Have rebound set quite slow. Mainly ride locally at the moment which is Macc Forest and surrounding areas.

Just weighed myself and appear to have gained over a stone 😯 more air may also be required!

chiefgrooveguru

For starters, make sure you set it in the attack position, weight 99% on the pedals, bounce a few times to get through the stiction and then push the O-ring down whilst standing with your elbow against a wall. After you’ve added or removed air do plenty of bouncing to equalise the negative spring before measuring sag again.

I seem to usually find that around 20% sag works well for me. The air spring curve makes a big difference – I’ve noticed a 140mm Pike is much easier to get feeling good than the same fork with a 130mm air shaft, the latter being less firm when pumping but harsher through the bumps. If you’re lighter or heavier than average it’ll be harder to set up and may need a custom tune.

Bottomless tokens are often misused – they ramp up the last bit of travel so you won’t bottom harshly but they make the midstroke comparatively soggy. Better to add more air.

qwerty
    Free Member

It’s a 140 rev reduced to 120.

Exactly what i have. Mines a 2015 Solo Air RLT.

Do you have Tokens fitted? Starting guide is 3.

qwerty
    Free Member
    chiefgrooveguru

Speed the rebound up until it starts to ping off things or do that push understeer thing in flat turns.

funkmasterp

Thanks all. I have no idea if there are tokens or not. I’ll have another mess about later. Tend to weight the forks more on descents. It’s a Trans AM 29er that I’m riding, seems to work better with a more weight forward approach.

NormalMan

Recently had mine (slides) changed from 100 to 120mm travel. I’m running 25% on mine. Travel seems to work ok and no real diving issues. I’m never sure about the rebound but recently the adjuster fell off. Waiting to fit a new one and see where I go from there.

Any good tip’s for getting the rebound right?
    (I’m light if that helps)

wiggles
    Free Member

Adding some tokens will help, you can have it nice and supple but it will ramp up quicker so will dive less.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Sag on Hardtails’ is closed to new replies.