Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Saffron Walden – help needed.
  • MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I’m in Saffron Walden visiting the in laws on the weekend of 1st December and want to do a road ride on the Saturday morning. Are there any riders willing to show me around the Essex countryside? If not then can you point me in the direction of a decent road club I could join for a ride?

Thanks in advance. 🙂

Ro5ey
    Free Member

SF is just a bit north of my local loops…. but Great Dunmow is just down the road… maybe give the Tri club there a shout … http://www.dunmowtri.co.uk

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Bump.

Anyone else?

plumber
    Free Member

From there I’d head to epping forest an follow the first roadie you see, generally lots about on a weekend

Kryton57

MM, Herts/Essex is my local road haunt, happy to ride with you and I’m scheduled to ride on the 1st, choose your distance I have a route 🙂

One condition, If you beat me up the hills you have to promise not to mention it on here 😉

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Kryton57, yours was the kind of reply I was hoping for. I was looking at around 40 to 50 miles at a nice gentle pace but I’m happy to ride at a pace and distance that suits. I just want to get out and ride. 🙂

I’m travelling up on the Friday night and can travel to a place that suits on Saturday.

Kryton57

Suits me MM, especially the gentle pace bit.

Now, SW is mid-ride for me. Do you know the McDonald’s at the Harlow M11 Junction? If you could ride / drive their that’d be good although I don’t think you could park for that long, so the alternative (if you want to drive) is to meet me at High Beech in Epping Forest where you can park all day (plus there’s the tea hut for post ride tea and cake).

Are you happy to ride early-ish – approx 9am? Whats the priority – scenery or riding? The default route I’d use has a few main roads & 2 small towns – say 10 miles of that and 30+ Essex country – this has the best bank for buck with 3 x Cat 4’s included? There is another flatter route into the wilds of Essex but thats closer to 80k and at gentle pace you’ll have forced me into grovel-mode with the wife.

Your call (not sure how well you know the area).

Kryton57

Whoops. I’v just realised I’ve mistaken Saffron Waldron is not where I was thinking – I’m further South than I thought with a fair bit of driving (30 mins?) down the M11 for you.

High Beach is here

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&cr=countryUK%7CcountryGB&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bpcl=38897761&biw=1276&bih=591&q=high+beach+epping+forest&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x47d8a04148e34b1d:0x792c1cecadfce999,High+Beach,+Essex&gl=uk&sa=X&ei=Wf6rUP9ts43TBd3kgLAO&ved=0CIYBELYD

Let me know if thats an issue.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Saffron Walden – help needed.’ is closed to new replies.