Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Safe to re-use ?
  • Yet1man

Hi.

I got a little ‘excited’ using my new compressor to set up my tyres tubeless and managed to blow the tyre off the rim (and nearly deafen myself at the same time). There doesn’t appear to be any damage to the tyre but will the bead have been ‘stretched’ now and therefore not be useable ?

I’d like to set it up tubeless (with a bit more care next time) but obviously don’t want the tyre popping off the rim mid ride. Has anyone else had this and re-used the tyre, or is it now only suitable for tubed use, or even worse… the bin ?

Cheers

Michael

njee20
    Free Member

IME once a tyre’s exploded it’s good only for the bin.

tazzymtb

if you have frigged it, it is easy enough to tell as it will happily and noisily let go again at about 15 psi from experience. Even with a tube it may be happy to leap off the rim. If it survives the next inflation without a bang, it’ll be fine. The bead depends very much on the manufacturer Conti and early schwalbe were evil in the beginnings of tubeless, but are a hell of a lot better now, as are most other tubeless ready tyres.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

After having one blow off the rim about a month after it first did it (in the garage luckily, not while riding) I figure there’s no way of knowing so they go in the bin.

It can make a right mess of a wheel, too, it knocked all the tension out of my old rear wheel.

nickdavies

I did it last year first time using a compressor,
    inflated properly then put the handle down inadvertently compressing it.. leading to a very large bang!

Couldn’t hear very well till the next day, but the tyre went back on fine & i’m still using it.

belugabob
    Free Member

Couldn’t hear very well till the next day, but the tyre went back on fine & i’m still using it.

Pardon?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Safe to re-use ?’ is closed to new replies.