Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Safe seat post length. Advice please.
  • faixazul
    Free Member

I’m after a bit of advice.
    I bought a thomson elite seatpost and when I received it (eBay) it had been chopped down a bit. The max insertion line is still visible but not much after that.
    I’ve been offered a partial refund if I keep it but I’m torn between sending it back for a full refund or keeping it.

Can anybody tell me if this sounds safe? I don’t want to stress my seat tube.

It’s 338mm long, at the absolute max I would use it It’s inserted 124mm into the frame with 214mm between top of seat post and centre of the clamp.

If it helps it’s a 27.2mm post in an 18″ 2012 kona kula (scandium).

Any advice would be appreciated.

jam-bo

Isn’t google brilliant…

tmb467
    Free Member

If it helps – max line on a Thomson post is about an inch on a 367mm post – say 10% to be very safe

If you’re riding on a chopped down post then 10% is about 34mm

124mm should be absolutely fine and I’d have no problem riding that (I ride close to that now with a shimmed post and it seems ok – tho I am looking for a new post but only cos I need some layback)

All in my opinion tho – someone may come along and tell you how their mate is now a eunuch cos a superstar post collapsed on them

vincienup
    Free Member

Rule of thumb is 100mm minimum insertion, measured from top tube not top of seat tube.

Sounds like it should work but might be a bit tight…

Onzadog
    Free Member

Personally, I like the seat post to extend down below the seat cluster but from the numbers you quoted, it sounds like it would.

tmb467
    Free Member

Ah – nice

Hehe…it appears my post has been chopped cos the line on mine ISNT 100mm from the bottom

Luckily it fits more than 100mm in – ignore what I said above!

faixazul
    Free Member

Cheers for the picture. I appreciate a bit of sarcasm too so thanks for that as well. Funnily enough, I am aware of google.

I looked at the thomson site first and saw that but the seatpost I already had in the frame has a minimum insertion of 115mm so I was just after second opinions really as the difference seemed a lot. The old one isn’t a thomson though.

faixazul
    Free Member

Thanks for the replys guys. I’m leaning towards it being okay but just wanted a few opinions.

I’d only have it that high on the road. I lower it by another 20-25mm otherwise.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Safe seat post length. Advice please.’ is closed to new replies.