Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Saddles… what's good at the moment?
  • daftvader
    Free Member

Morning…
    I know it’s a very subjective, but after my last saddle disaster (fizick aliante which after 1 mile felt like it was cutting me in half) I need some recommendations to get on test….
    cheers

colournoise

Fabric Scoop. Whichever variant fits your arse (I prefer Shallow).

End of thread.

legend
    Free Member

No saddle has ever felt good after 1 mile though, takes longer for your arse to re-mould

daftvader
    Free Member

I disagree… the previous one, same brand same saddle, was great out of the box

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No saddle that fits another arse is good for you. Try this app
    http://flowmountainbike.com/post-all/innovation-saddle-selection-app-unveiled/
    Golden rule is know your arse, shape, width, size etc. Get a fitting or trial saddle

daftvader
    Free Member

Mike… that’s what I will do, just wanted t know what’s good ATM…. and I know my arse, too big and too wide! 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How can what is good for somebody be good for you? That being the fin point there

devash
    Free Member

I recently changed from an SDG Bel-Air to a Madison Flux and have really got on with it. I have a skinny arse though.

daftvader
    Free Member

@mike I can’t, but it gives me places to start. I’ve been out of the loop for the last 2 years so don’t know what’s what at the moment…. expect other stupid questions over the next few weeks!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Right then your arse and your bone shape determines what saddle works along with a but if riding style, what is good for me is probably going to kill you. It’s a contact point and a really important/impotent one. One size does not fit all

scotroutes

Brooks B17 on my tourer. Really comfy.

SDG Bel Air on my two hardtails. Really comfy.

Specialized Toupe on my road bike. Really comfy.

Fizik Gobi on my new Orbea. Really comfy.

RustySpanner

Specialized fitting service?
    Worked for me.
    You can take it back and swap it if it doesn’t work.

Bye bye overpriced, poor quality Brooks.
    Good riddance.
    🙂

Crossed post Onion.
    Wanna buy a B17 Narrow?

daftvader
    Free Member

Yeah I know that mike… I’m not right back at the start of knowledge…
    thanks for the suggestions….

scotroutes

Wanna buy a B17 Narrow?

I’m good thanks. B17 standard seems to do the trick. I’m a 143 in Specialized saddles.

daftvader
    Free Member

@rusty… going up to the local concept store as soon as I am able to drive again (wrist op next week)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Is it for a road bike or an MTB?

daftvader
    Free Member

Mountain bike…

scotroutes

You’re unlikely to go too far wrong with a Charge Spoon/Madison Flux/Gusset R-Series. They are pretty neutral and relatively cheap and also easy to sell on. I find they only last for 12 months or so of sustained use before the padding packs down though.

daftvader
    Free Member

I usually wear them out befor that with the odd crash and the elite grinding paste that is Hampshire mud!

scotroutes

In that case look for the versions with no stitching as grindy mud can kill that in short order.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If it’s for an MTB then you’ll probably want something fairly wide, unless you have alot of saddle to bar drop.

THe Fabric saddles are pretty nice, but the shape of the curvy one is pretty similar to an Aliante. Also, the covers are pretty sticky so it’s difficult to move around.

Specialized Toupe worth a look.

You probably need to adjust saddle angle though; if it feels like it’s cutting you in half then you’ve installed it a bit funny.

iainc

And for a wild card, I have ISM saddles on all the bikes and love ’em

lunge

Flute Ti, the original shape. Still not found anything that suits my arse better after 20+ years riding bikes.

Keep debating a trip to the Spec store but then I find another Flite cheap and so have no need.

daftvader
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up on those will be searching out testers

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

My Ergon feels firm but fair, supporting my sit bones well.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

IS the WTB sl8 pro any good?

Inbred456
    Free Member

I’ve been a serial saddle shopper for years. Got a garage full of them. The only ones that have been repeatedly good have been the spesh body geometry ones. I’m using an Avatar comp gel at the moment. Not mega comfy but a good compromise between comfort weight and performance. Done 40 milers with no real problems. I always find I need a wider saddle than the sit bone gauges tell me I need. Tried the scoops and spoons and always found them to offer to little support.

epicyclo

Get a Brooks that fits you and you have a saddle for life.

Get a plastic saddle, and it will be good for a year or two.

windyg
    Free Member

I’ve found decent bib shorts to be the better option for MTB no what saddle i have. I am using one of these http://unbrandedcarbon.co.uk/product/uc-slr-carbon-saddle/ without any problems
    On the road I have a Prologo Kappa Evo which I have used on a MTB before and was decent enough.

mick_r

Also an ISM user – wouldn’t go back to a normal saddle.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Love Fabrics and WTB Volts

takisawa2

Been a Ti Spoon user for years but bought a Cambrium recently. It’s a keeper.

daftvader
    Free Member

Intrigued by the ism stuff…. will look for a dealer…

iainc

^^^ all the ISM dealers will do demo ones. For MTB, the Peak, or as it has just been rebadged, the PM 2.0 is the one to go for. Setup is everything, and if you do try one, I’d suggest follow the setup vids on their website to the letter.

I have 5 of them, road and MTB versions, and have been using them for past 3 years. Can’t see me changing back to regular shape as they are so comfy and never any numb bits…

daftvader
    Free Member

Excellent…

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

SQ Lab 611 Active Mtb on both of mine. Brilliant but pricey

UK-FLATLANDER

Find a LBS that has a range of test saddles. I personally love the Selle SMPs, others think I’m mad.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Saddles… what's good at the moment?’ is closed to new replies.