• This topic has 10 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Saddles. Round, flat, wide, narrow, long, short ….
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

I am slowly making my way through every brand of saddle out there. So far I have tried Brooks B17, Spec Phenom, San marco Regal. Brooks Cambium C15

The issue I have is that whilst sit bone width is important you then have the issue of whether you have a flat or a round saddle. The phenom is very flat and great for up to 3 hours, but being flat removes pressure from the perineum region and puts it very much on the sit bone area. This is great, but after a few hours you feel like you are going to develop pressure sores.

The B17 is a very comfy perch, but the nose is too wide and the saddle is just too wide as well.

The San Marco Regal and the Cambium are a very rounded saddle. Pressure seems squarely on the perineum region and feel like it’s going to split me in two 🙁

After riding bikes for the last 35 years I struggle to get why it has to be so difficult to get a perfect fitting saddle and one that you could happily sit on all day / every day.

Any recommendations for a saddle that sits somewhere between the phenom and the regal in terms of roundness and suitable for a 135 sit bone width?

lovewookie

saddles are an odd one certainly. I’m more a flat rear, groove and skinny nose type saddly buyer, been great with my san marco SKN, but they no longer make them. San marco Ponza (standard one, not the power) is OK, but a bit on the ‘ridgey’ side, however has padding so it squishes OK.

these are cheap and comfy, and light.

didn’t think they would be, but there are a few recommendations found online too.

maybe worth a punt?

DezB
    Free Member

Tell me about it! And the saddles with a comfort guarantee – you can only choose from another in their range.
    Weird thing for me is if I buy a complete bike, any random saddle fits fine.

One of the ones I tried in my search was a Bonty which may fit your bill (or arse). Bonty Affinity. Really nice light saddle, I managed a leisurely day on it in comfort, but any hard pedalling it rubs slightly.
    Width fitting is 138. I’ll jump to my phone and post a pic…

lovewookie

I found the bontrager ones too wide in the nose. I took back 4 different ones I think before getting a refund.

everyone
    Free Member

I feel you pain OP. I’ve tried plenty of saddles and to be honest I’m not sure what to try next. The best ones I’ve found so far are:

Selle Italia Flite 416 – Honestly can’t remember what was bad about that
    Fizik Antares – Current preferred, even then I find it a bit too firm on my sit bones
    Fizik Aliante versus – Better than the standard aliante but it felt like my sit bones were on the edge of the groove.
    Selle San Marco Concor racing – Shape felt good but it felt too rounded for me.

I’m toying with trying something with a cutout next (maybe a Spesh Romin?) but if anyone has any remotely sensible suggestions I’d happily try them!

flanagaj
    Free Member

The solution is to develop a system where by you sit on a special saddle which works out your anatomy and then 3D prints one for you.

MSP

Why not try the “new school” saddles, ie spesh power, selle smp or adamo.

Gone for a spesh power myself, and love it (ps for the spesh power go a width wider than you think).

turbo1397
    Free Member

had exactly the same problem.. been through loads! i got measured by spesh and was told i should go for a 143 saddle.. which i did. great for first 20 miles then started to get sore. bought a 155mm spesh romin evo pro and voila- found the one that fits! i needed one with a cut out in the middle and also with a curve side-side. the romin evo also drops away at the front as well which is good for climbing..the spesh powr is also a great saddle.

greentricky
    Free Member

Spesh toupe man myself, tried a romin and found it horrible

everyone
    Free Member

What other saddles do you get on with green?

DezB
    Free Member

Odd that someone said the Bontrager has too wide a nose – just measured it with calipers, compared to a Fizik, 2 WTBs and a Prologo, the Bonty has a narrower nose! It’s flatter on the top, which may give it the impression of being wider, but the seat part really supports the sit bones well. I’ve stuck in on my singlespeed now just because I don’t want it wasted!

Maybe the Prologo is worth a try OP? they are a more traditional shaped saddle, I reckon. I have a kappa, i think.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Saddles. Round, flat, wide, narrow, long, short ….’ is closed to new replies.