Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Saddles – Does any shop have a big box of testers?
  • MrTall
    Free Member

Just had a discussion with one of my clients who is a fellow cyclist and he was saying that he is constantly buying saddles to try out and it’s getting expensive as he’s yet to find the best one for him.

I seem to recall seeing a few years back a shop that would send you a box of around a dozen saddles to try out (for a small fee) so you could try before you buy. I thought it was SJS but looking on their site there is no mention of it now (i could be mistaken that it was them).

So does anybody recall seeing the same thing and know who it was or know of any shops that do it now?

He’s a roadie by the way so road saddles only. Thanks

MrTall
    Free Member

Nobody?

snakebite
    Free Member

Give Craig a bell at SWinnertons 08448112299

Keva
    Free Member

my local lbs has a few ‘testers’ but they were all the same manufacturer (Selle) and pretty much no no’s for me. buying a saddle is crap because you pretty much have to take a chance with it. Most shops will let you ride around the car park on a display bike to get a feel for it but that is not the same as putting on your own bike and going out for an hour or two. I flatly refuse to pay 50 – 70 quid for something which might not fit me, I don’t do it in clothes shops.

Kev

hilldodger
    Free Member

Maybe we could start a STW saddle-swap scheme……..

bruneep

Maybe we could start a STW saddle-swap scheme……..

great idea!!
    I will only swap with women only tho..

8)

<sniff>

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Order one from wiggle – you do have to pay to send it back if its no good, but its only a couple of quid – much cheaper than being left with a saddle thats no use. They are very prompt with returns and customer service, so no hanging around waiting for refunds.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m sure there’s a gap it he market fo a shop to do a saddle rental scheme based on the “LOVEFilm” business model.

You pay £5-£10 a month, you pick 5-6 saddles from a list, one gets sent, you try it for as long as you want (max say 28days), you send it back and the next arrives.

Could be quite profitable, especialy as most manufacturers have budget models that are similar to their top end ones, and for the scheme youd only need the cheep ones. Logicaly if you fit a £20 saddle you should fit their £200 saddle? Or is that ever not the case?

Failing that, buy and sell on the classifides. I found i get on with old style SDG bel airs width wise, but could do with a big cut out to releieve pressure on climbs, the new shape just pinches me’ notcher, any recomendations?

0091paddy
    Free Member

mefty
    Free Member

I came across once I think it was orbit but they seem to just do frames now however I did find this.

sssimon
    Free Member

we have a “fleet” of wtb saddles in nice garish test ride schemes at Bikedock

pay a deposit, take it away for a day, bring it back and get your deposit back or use it against the value of a saddle

FuzzyWuzzy

One of my LBS have a set of Selle and Fizik demo saddles, the Fizik ones are all bright yellow and on a special stand so I guess it’s a standard offering Fizik do for dealers.

Pieface

FWIW most saddles are comfy when you’re only wearing Lycra.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Saddles – Does any shop have a big box of testers?’ is closed to new replies.