Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Saddle sore – spot
  • paulwf

I have had a spot on my bottom since a ride 2 weeks ago ( I got changed but had a 3 hour drive home).
    I have kept off the bike, kept it clean and applied germaline several times a day.
    It has got smaller – but it is still there.
    It is only small but I am worried that it is going to cause me problems on a riding holiday in just over a weeks time..

Anyone got any tips (I am wondering if it might be an ingrowing hair?) – or should I just make an appointment at the doctors?

Scapegoat

Probably an infected hair follicle. Have you got a good friend with a pair of tweezers, or can you rig up some sort of contortion/mirror contraption to locate and remove it yourself?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Go to docs, get antibiotics, cycle.

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

Does it really need anti-Bs? We are too dependent on them for relatively minor things.

paulwf

I could try and convice my wife to have a go, though it was a struggle to get her to look at it!
    Is it just a case of pulling the hair out in the centre of the spot?

Maybe I will just book an appointment as she wants me to do though

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Use Germoline mate, drys it up and it’s antiseptic. Works for me.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Why the hell would I bother the doctor or a&me for a spot on my bum?

paulwf

I normally wouldn’t bother going to the doctors, but it has been there for two weeks and is still a raised red bump that hurts when I push it and therefore when sitting on a saddle.

I could do nothing and hope it clears up in a week, or I could go to the doctors.

Never had trouble before in many years of riding and a short commute

globalti
    Free Member

Go and see the doc. Then go home, squeeze it, pull out the hair if there is one, and dab it with Germolene or Corsodyl mouthwash, the best miracle cure ever for spots.

ico86

Owch! I’ve had a couple of these so I feel your pain.. My girlfriend wouldn’t touch them with a bargepole so my solution was dousing with tea tree oil and then eventually manning up and squeezing the little buggra. Not nice!

burko73

If your missus won’t sort it who else will, your mum?

Need to get your missus on the case, there’ll be worse to come years down the line, if she can’t hack that get out now….!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Why the hell would I bother the doctor or a&me for a spot on my bum?

I don’t think anyone suggested a&e, only the doc, but if you’re really not sure, have a wee google for perineal boil. Then, once you’ve wiped the puke off your screen, have a sit on the naughty step… 😆

Keva
    Free Member

I’ve had these in the past. It’s probably a boil or cyst, go to the docs and you’ll more than likely be prescribed some antibiotics for it. if it’s irritated by more heat and pressure it could grow larger and become more of a problem. Get rid now before the weather warms up. It also might be an idea to check saddle fit, riding position and possibly whether you could do with new shorts.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Also, start using chamois cream, helps no end to prevent such things IME.

njee20
    Free Member

eventually manning up and squeezing the little buggra. Not nice!

What? Its a glorious experience! I’d get squeezing, whip out the hair with some pliers tweezers, then slather in Germoline/tea tree/Sudocreme. Job jobbed. Or horrifically infected bottom. Never happened to me though.

jonba
    Free Member

If it is just a spot then pop it if you can. However if it is an ingrown hair it may get a lot worse if you can’t free the hair. To find out you need mirrors, a camera phone or a very good friend.

FWIW I seem to suffer from saddle sores regardless*. Baby wipes before the drive home, good chamois cream and shorts. If I do have problems either some sort of generic savlon/germalene/sudacrem style product or a spot cream if there is a lump (Clearasil type stuff).

theotherjonv

I prescribe* vodka.

1/ Use a bit to disinfect the area.
    2/ Use a bit more to disinfect a sharp needle
    3/ Use the rest as anesthetic. Yes, all of it, it’s gonna hurt.

Use the needle to locate the centre, and pick out the ingrowing hair, then tug that out with tweezers. With luck that’ll open a channel to the surface and pressure will start to release. But you’ll still have to help it with squeezing. I mean proper squeezing, this isn’t a 13 year old’s zit, this is a man spot, and it’ll take teeth clenching muscle shaking effort.

And just because it hurts to the extent that you’re nearly having a whitey, don’t give up. Just as the darkest part of the night is that part immediately before the dawn, just when you think it can’t be any more painful – that’s when it’ll go.

Slather in corsodyl / germoline and take pride in your achievements.

* I can’t prescribe stuff really, I’m not a doctor. Maybe you should see a real one.

ico86

@njee20, I was trying not to say this as I don’t think the OP wanted to hear it.. but not nice as it was agonising! Briefly, and very locally but oh man was it sore squeezing that little blighta. Proper exercise in willpower to get it popped. Leg up, head down squeezing in the shower. Enough? I couldn’t see it to pull the hair out, I just had to believe that in the aftermath of devastation there was no way that the hair would still be there.
    So the good news was that the pain went away almost instantly and within a day the whole thing was forgotten about with no lasting impacts. Tres bon!

fadda

Or simply get an exfoliating thing (sponge, glove, whatever) and scrub it at least once a day.

onandon
    Free Member

Just go to the doc.
    It could be a follicle, or a one of any number of more serious issues.

Three years ago I had the same. The doc took a look and sent me to hospital for an op 24 hours later under general anaesthetic.

paulwf

Hmm doctor can see me 12th April… Can try again in the morning at 8am in case anyone cancels

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I had one once that seemed to be persistent. So I grabbed hold of it and gave it a firm squeeze.

Then it ‘let go’

I mean REALLY let go

The relief was instant, but the ‘letting go’ was quite remarkable.

A mixture of abject horror, nausea, fascination, excitement and bewilderment.

Made a heck of a mess, but was instantly better

No pics required or available, just let us know!

firestarter
    Free Member

I could post up a pic of what can happen, (well the post surgery pic) if you don’t visit the docs. I kept thinking ah it’s nowt. I ended up off the bike months

funkweasel
    Free Member

Forget A&E and the GP. Dignitas is the only way to go from here.
    Just get mrs paulwf to poke at it and get the (does sound like an infected follicle/ingrowing bum hair) hair out and then make sure it’s clean and stick germolene on it. Also poke at it with a sterilised implement/s.

onandon
    Free Member

Don’t poke at it with anything. After my op I had two nice incisions, now my ass looks like a bowling ball 🙂
    You don’t need any more holes than nessesary. Let the doc deal with it as you don’t want any infection to go any deeper, as mine did.

fasthaggis

OP ..Do you have a Dremel ?

paulwf

I do have a dremel. Will I need to go to B&Q at lunch to get a special tip?

njee20
    Free Member

No, have you got a slitting disc? That’ll be fine. Maybe wash off the worst of any swarf. Quick squirt of GT85 or sommat.

fasthaggis

I am sure Dremel do a boil lancing bit,but failing that just book yourself in at the local boilsucker,she is very gentle.

paulwf

Well I convinced mrs paulwf to have a look with a torch. A lot of huffing and puffing (I had a shower first) she then announced there was a bit of hair poking out the middle.

Sterilized her tweezers and then pulled out a 30mm long curly hair that was inside.

She then spotted another smaller one and had that out at the same time.

Put germolene on it and will see what it looks like in the morning!

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

Job done! Result.

Rather fascinating those hairs though aren’t they? Ooh look how long it was growing under my skin….

matt_outandabout

No explosive puss and blood fountain?

theotherjonv

With a torch? How far up your crack was it?

paulwf

Small amount of puss.

I didn’t have to part my cheeks to see it, the torch was just so she could see what she was doing as the bulb in the bedroom isn’t that bright

butcher

Sterilized her tweezers and then pulled out a 30mm long curly hair that was inside.

I was horrified the first time I found an ingrown hair. And that was on my face. Just thought it was a massive unsqueezable spot. Eventually popped, along with a little bit of hair. I pulled…

Pulled some more….

Started panicking a bit, thinking of these stories of cysts with teeth inside them and stuff…

It was probably only 30mm or so in the end, but I thought it was never gonna end. Didn’t even know what an ingrown hair was at the time.

xyeti
    Free Member

whooooaaaah, waddayamean cysts with teeth in 😯

Never had one of these on my ass thank god but sometimes get one or two on my neck, top marks to the other half for coming good with the tweezers,

MrSmith
    Free Member

It’s a terratoma, you will die.

honeybadgerx

Cigarette lighter from the car should do the trick.

robcolliver
    Free Member

Cut a sculloped hole in your saddle in the same place that your lump is…. it worked for me and kept me riding till the thing burst by itself and ran down my shorts… took about 5 days of 16 hour days to explode, but it was worth the wait.

Probably going to have the same issue in 8 weeks time – the rebirth of Uncle Fester!

shifter
    Free Member

whooooaaaah, waddayamean cysts with teeth in

I read about that somewhere*. The cyst was the patient’s twin, that had been growing inside her, for decades!

I will not be googling for that.

*I reserve the right to be hideously mistaken, for all I know it could’ve been Viz.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Saddle sore – spot’ is closed to new replies.