Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Saddle- recommend a cutout/comfy saddle
  • hora
    Free Member

I have a Specialized Phenom expert. It waa great new now its gone really hard feeling (how possible once broken in?!). So looking at the Avatar Gel at the moment.

Anything else (road) comfy with a cut out?

davehast23
    Free Member

The ism Adamo ones are pretty comfy not the cheapest but they work! http://www.sprocketscycles.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Adamo

duntstick
    Free Member

Saddles are strange. Rode from South of France to Uk on my Brooks it was ace. Recently started using it again and it’s whooping my ass! Will have to fiddle and adjust to get it right, but it will come right.

New stuff isn’t always better stuff

iainc

I have an ISM Breakaway on the good road bike and the similar but slightly cheaper, heavier and softer Prologue on cx/tourer and track bikes.

They are expensive but very very effective.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Anything else (road) comfy with a cut out?

Friend of mine had one of these on test recently and hasn’t shut up about how good it was since.

Specialized Power. Terrible name, apparently very good.

I have a ti railed Phenom and it’s lovely so far. Am going to try a demo Power, though, just to satisfy my curiosity.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Charge Spoon.

stumpy01

I’ve got an Avatar gel. It’s pretty comfy, but saddles are very personal things…

lunge

I’ve got a snappily named Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow. Fits my arse well.

kjrogers

I love my Avatar saddle but had problems with it snagging the bag of my shorts when I started riding more terrain that required me to get off the back of the bike.

Tried a SDG bel air that cured the short snagging problem and was OK comfort wise but not so much when sitting down again for a second day of riding.

Currently trying a Specialized Henge. Jury out after the first ride but I think I had the angle wrong. Definately firmer than the Avatar though.

oldboy
    Free Member

+1 for Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow. I have the Ti-railed version on both my bikes.

dufusdip
    Free Member

I get a good ripping for my droopy saddle but very comfy for mtb and also got another on a hardtail that I use for commute occasionally which is 35 miles. Had real problems with other sadles that I almost couldn’t ride long duration two days in a row but no problems on this selle smp

chain reaction

hora
    Free Member

400gm?!!

The Flite gel flow. Where are they all?

dufusdip
    Free Member

Didn’t say it was weight weenie stuff, just comfy and I used it for mtb.

There’s probably lots of other options of you drop a small fortune on them but personally I wasn’t willing to take a punt!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I just bought an older style Specialized Sonoma 175 with the Zertz inserts. Looked massive, first ride it felt massive (compared to the Spoon and Bel Air that were on before)

Second ride – amazing. Just feels ‘gone’. Early days but so confident I’ve already bought another NOS backup and selling my Spoon. I’ll worry about the grams later. Although it’s way, way lighter than a B17, waterproof and i like it much better.

It’s this style one:

Also recommend the Body Geometry Indie XC 145 (discontinued but a few around.) – similar to the Sonoma ie deep groove, flattish, broadish sit bone platforms but more suitable for those who prefer racier geometry/leaning forward. My bars are normally an inch or so higher than the saddle.

I was going to buy another Indie XC but saw the Sonoma on Ebay, took a punt thinking would sell it on if still preferred the XC, as 175mm sounded wiiiide. The Sonoma comes in 155 flavour too but I can’t see how that would improve it for me, well chuffed. What’s a B-17 width? 170ish? Funny, I tried out a friend’s B-17 recently, but it was aged and a bit saggy, yet was a lovely comfy hammocky feel. I could never get on with the break in oeriod, just resulted in dents for sit bones and hard leather in the rest., always shuffling around couldn’t get it right.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Thinking about it have had more success with Body Geometry saddles than others, excepting the Bel Air Ti which I’m keeping, and a Fizik Gobi wingflex that is long gone, and the Selle TransAm (full leather, twas great)

Got on with those all but obv BG suits my shape more as keep returning after trying fashionable perinium-pounding ass-knives on recommendation. I tried with the Spoon. I really did. Maybe I’m too heavy 😯

As for Body Geometry – have tried quite a few over the years: from the nameless original body geometry and it’s descendant (with the grey-finned plastic assflap) to the Indie XC (cheap but v comfy), Sonoma (same), Henge (nose too wide/flat for me).

Just wish they made saddles (like the Sonoma) in leather or something sturdier. Also wished they would’t constantly ‘update’ their line, would be better surely to upgrade the popular models with harder-wearing materials rather than roll out a whole redesign? I suppose the business model is to keep churning and burning, not making more durable stuff. I just get bummed (ha) that the ones that seem to suit me the most are made from cheaper vinyl and lacking scuffguards etc.

lunge

Looking at the web it looks like the Gel Flow has been discontinued, you can still get the Max Gel Flow but it’s a bit wider and a bit heavier.

You could try a Flite Flow here, that doesn’t look a million miles away from what you want.

iainc

I looked at the Flite’s and read a lot of reviews before settling on the ISM one

hora
    Free Member

Anyone/where doing Selle’s on a demo basis? Don’t really want to drop circa £50+ on a gamble.

nemesis
    Free Member

How much for your Phenom, Hora? Is it white?

Mind you I might feel dirty riding on Hora’s saddle…

trickydisco
    Free Member

I have one of these

and it’s amazing!

yes it gets some looks but it’s the comfiest saddle i’ve ever had

iainc

on the demo front, PedalPedal in London do demo ISM ones, which they send out to you. I spoke with them before purchase – really knowledgeable and helpful, well worth a chat.

hora
    Free Member

How much for your Phenom, Hora? Is it white?

Put things in perspective……

Some people on here sell USED bib shorts. I mean WTF.

Ps yes its for sale and white.

nemesis
    Free Member

Are you selling your bibshorts, Hora?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Saddle- recommend a cutout/comfy saddle’ is closed to new replies.