Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • saddle rail failure, will this temporary fix work for a couple of weeks?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

A saddle rail on my Selle Italia Regal broke riding over some scarified asphalt on the Lolo Pass. I’m currently riding the TransAm about a day or a couple of days from the nearest bike shops. The weekend will screw up postage.
    One seat rail has broken just behind the seat post clamp. It’s a Thomson seat post. I have relocated the broken section to the centre of the seat post clamp as a temporary measure. My hope is that if the other rail was stressed too it will be clamped across the stressed area.

Just how durable will this temporary fix be?

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/8912. day 69

RealMan
    Free Member

I’d be riding carefully, not leaning the bike on the saddle, and getting to a bike shop ASAP.

Although I reckon it would actually take something to cause it to fail again, don’t think it’s likely to go on JRA.

Murr
    Free Member

good luck with repair peter just had a read on day 69 well done and keep it gone catch u later. oh the repair sounds as strong as the greenhoose.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I did seventy miles with a three thousand feet climb on it today, it’s holding up so far.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I reckon it’ll be OK.

It has to – you’re Cindy Whitehead otherwise!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

So I have ridden two hundred and fifty miles to Baker City and my saddle is still in tact. I bought a $5 emergency replacement from a bike shop parts bin. A saddle swap with four hundred miles to go would kill my ass

simon1975

Splendid! I’m running an SLR with a broken rail exactly as you described with the broken bit mid-clamp. It creaks occasionally but I’m not often more than 90 minutes from home if I have a problem on that bike…

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Well, my saddle held out till I reached the Pacific. The temporary fix lasted nearly eight hundred miles. 😀

simondbarnes

Woohoo, well done 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I just completed this years week long Cycle Oregon, 499 miles and 24800 feet of climbing and my saddle repair still held out.

grtdkad

Epic.
    … But perhaps time to replace?

stumpy01

Nice fix, although having lasted 800 + 499 miles, I’m not sure I’d be calling it temporary!! 😀

Sounds like you are having a right adventure!

wwaswas

499 miles

I’d want to cycle around the block a couple of times at the end to make it a round 500 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘saddle rail failure, will this temporary fix work for a couple of weeks?’ is closed to new replies.