Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • saddle pack recommendations
  • D0NK

Thinking of ditching the deeply uncool bumbag I’ve been using for commuting for yonks. So saddle packs, what have you got that is quick to fit and swap between bikes, doesn’t rattle/swing about from side to side and preferably doesn’t make a mess of your seatpost?

DT78
    Free Member

topeak with quick clip. Needs an adaptor with normal saddles or clips direct on to ibeam saddles.

D0NK

hmm clip on maybe, would need a clamp for each bike tho.

quite a selection too, which do you use DT?

RockWallaby
    Free Member

Depending what size of saddle bag you want. If you want to carry clothes, lunch etc I can recommend a Carradice bag. I have been using mine nearly every weekday for over a year now without any issues.

D0NK

Sorry should have said, just the basics, a tube, multi tool, puncture repair, levers, ducktape, couple of links and a mini pump (lezyne alloy drive) – this could be the tricky one. Everything fits in my bumbag fine and obviously swapping bikes is not a problem.

Don’t like carrying bags and have arranged my working week around that. I guess a tool roll/wallet that I could put in a jersey pocket would probably do but not sure I’m happy with the security of that – slight possibility of losing it.

kcal

bottle style tool container?

I use a variety of saddle bags but none that easy to re-attach – or those that do require a clip existing on the seat post / saddle underside.

I have a tiny Karrimor one (think I got in a spot prize or as reward from LBS) – it’s very dinksy but might do at a push, couple of straps to do up. Or simple porta frame bag (spiders web bag).

I have a bundle of old Cannondale ones, they were pretty good too but now worn and the rubber has perished to properly clip one. Might be OK for a commute though. could pop in post?

nedrapier

Other options which might work for you:

[Edit: or won’t, if I’d not spent so long writing I would have seen that! hey ho…]

I tried out birthday presents from wife and bro at the weekend: the Wildcat Gear “Tiger” (saddle pack) and “Ocelot”(frame bag) at the weekend. Dead chuffed with them. Stuff for me an wifey for 40 mile road ride with pub stops. Sarnies, cliff bar, camera and windshirt in the big side of the frame bag; pump + tools in the small side. Tubes (1 big one small) in the back, then warm layers in a drybag – the Tiger is a holster/ compression thingy for a bag, so you can leave it on the bike and take the bag out to root around in it. Still easy on/off with velcro and saddle rail straps though.

Nice having the camera in the front of the frame back, unzip and get it out while you’re slowing down, and stow it/zip up after you get going. Much more likely to take photos when it’s less of a faff! Nice to keep tools away from your lunch, clothes and electronic bits, too.

Wildcat Gear: http://www.wildcatgear.co.uk/

nedrapier

bottle cage holder sounds good to me…

kcal, thanks for your emails and photos for the Ocelot. We ordered the L and XL, the XL got sent back. The XL was too long, and didn’t I didn’t like/want/need the extra depth. The L fits the hardtails better too.

kcal

@nedrapier – no worries! I found the L a bit on the tight side – wasn’t a good hold on the down tube at head tube end – and had concern that the XL would be too XL (and as you say too deep) – so I went down the route of a Alpkit Stingray in the end.

tonyd

I use a BBB tool bottle thingy, very useful and easy to swap between bikes.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bbb-btl-18l-tools-and-tube-storage-bottle-large

Edit: It holds a small pump, multi tool, road tube, tyre levers, two spanners, park patches, and on occasion my exposure flash/flare lights with brackets (although it’s very full by then).

nedrapier

How’s that, kcal? better, presumably? I looked at Alpkit a little while ago, always seemed to be out of stock, so I stopped looking. pfff.

kcal

ned – the Ocelot size seemed either too much of a gap or too much flap, and the Alpkit wasn’t (give or take a few pounds) really any more expensive for something that’d fit the Peregrine neatly – ability to custom (Stingray though, not Possum) the frame bag, add in extras (I put in velcro to hold pump e.g.) and touches like spec the stitching colour, options other than black, made it a choice I was easy with. Timescale is maybe a month or so, but happy with that..

D0NK

hmm wonder if I could wedge a lezyne pump into one of those bottle packs.

Edit: It holds a small pump,

the lezyne takes 100 strokes to get CX tyres upto pressure and that’s pretty decent volume for a mini pump, wouldn’t want anything much smaller. Just bought a 1l wide necked bottle, might see what I can fit in that.

nice setup Ned, wildcat gear looks good, I never got into bike packing but like the idea.

tonyd

My pump is a Topeak Race Rocket Master Blaster mini pump, quite a mouthful that, and according to the Wiggle site it’s 18cm long. It fits in the large BBB tool bottle with a cm or two to spare.

DT78
    Free Member

I use the aero pack in medium. I normally use ibeams so it is perfect. If need be you can unscrew the adaptor and move it from saddles, would take around 5 mins.
    http://www.topeak.com/products/bags/AeroWedgePack_medium_Quick

It fits a surprising amount in, unexpanded I get a 29er tube, lezyne mini pump and a lezyne pocket bag with multitool, chain breaker, spare links &zip ties in there. Also can fit a small phone and keys thought they are usually in my pocket. It can be expanded if you want to fit more in like another tube. Doesn’t rattle around and stays put. I’ve tried versions with Velcro straps and they don’t last me long, often they rip within a few months, whereas the quick clip is on its third season.

Personally I don’t like the bottle versions as I often need 2 water bottles when I ride.

Riding without a pack is so nice!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘saddle pack recommendations’ is closed to new replies.