Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Saddle help,
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Need one that, err,, doesn’t make tour dangly bits go numb….

Currently on a SDG Bel Air 2.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well given that saddle manufacturers don’t set out to make saddles that make your bits numb, and they probably tested them before making them, one can only conclude that everyone’s bum is different, and therefore the only option is to keep trying til you find one you like.

However I would like to point out that setup is crucial. Your nob goes numb when there is pressure on your perineum instead of on your sit bones where it’s meant to be. Possible reasons:

1) Saddle is too narrow, so your sit bones aren’t being supported
    2) Saddle is nose up, so the wide bit isn’t supporting your sit bones
    3) Saddle needs to be slightly nose down. My road bike needs this to get weight on my sitbones.
    4) Saddle is too far back, so the wide part isn;t under your sit bones

Once you are aware of the position of your sit bones you start to notice it.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Ta, sounds sensible I suppose.

tjagain

doesn’t have to be nose down molgrips – but your weight shuld be on the sit bones. I have my saddles nose up and no weight on my perineum even on the bike with lowest bars. If I have the saddle nose down I slide forward constantly onto my perineum

Liftman

Answer to most saddle questions is Charge Spoon

iainc

Have a look at some different shapes too. I swopped to ISM ones before going for surgery down there 3 yrs ago and haven’t looked back. Have them on all my bikes and no numb bits, ever.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s not the perineum, it’s the barse.

Some folk….

onandon
    Free Member

Actually, it’s the gooch or grundle

molgrips
    Free Member

doesn’t have to be nose down molgrips

No of course, just one thing to try that’s all. I used to have all my saddles flat, but the road one (Spesh Toupe) works slightly nose down.

andyb39
    Free Member

If numbness is an issue, it’s worth looking for a saddle that has a flatter shape from side to side. Or a more pronounced cutout/groove down the centre.

I really rate the specialized phenom and power saddles on my mountain bikes. Also have a prologo zero on the road bike which doesn’t have any cutout but is very flat and seems pretty good so far.

tdog
    Free Member

I’ll tell you once I’ve test ridden my new Fabric Cell Radius 😉

SirHC

Phenoms on both my bikes, spent years swapping between various SDG’s/WTB’s. Wen’t to a Spesh dealer, had my bum measured. They are firm saddles, but very supportive and no numbness even after 6-7 hours of riding.

onandon
    Free Member

I did the same and can’t stand the phenom I purchased.
    Was advised to try a power so purchased one. Didn’t like that either.
    Back to selle SLR flow which is the only saddle I’ve found to be ok on short as well as 100mile + rides. Still not perfect but I’m thinking perfect doesn’t exist.

The saddle is totally personal so no point asking, just try some and see what works.
    I wish fabric would do the flat with a groove. That would be nice to try.

hodgynd
    Free Member

I love the SDG Bel Air ..been perched on them for the last 10 years (less the last 15 months on a Whyte saddle..which I have just changed )..
    Never had any numbness ..so maybe try changing the position as suggested ..

PJay
    Free Member

My favourite saddle is the SDG Bel Air which I set with the nose slightly down (if I’m going to get numb nutz is climbing and this sorts it). For reference though I moved to the SDG Bel Air 2 and absolutely hated it!

bruneep

For reference though I moved to the SDG Bel Air 2 and absolutely hated it!

Good to hear it’s not just me then.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ll take Bel Air 2 off someone’s hands if it’s in decent nick.

hodgynd
    Free Member

There was a link on here no longer than 3 weeks ago for silverfish which had original Bel Air saddles at half price ..I got one with titanium rails for £42.50
    Edit ..here is the link ..dont know if it’s still valid ?
    http://www.silverfish-uk.com/products/featuredsection/offer

UK-FLATLANDER

Find a LBS that has test saddles and try a few. It took me ages to find one that worked for me. Ended up using Selle SMP Drakon or 209 Lite.

PJay
    Free Member

I’ll take Bel Air 2 off someone’s hands if it’s in decent nick

I got shot of mine on Ebay I’m afraid, but it you want one they’re available with 50% off via the link that hodgynd posted (put SALE50 in as a voucher code); I still think that you’d be better off with a ti railed standard Bel Air though.

pipiom
    Free Member

Any of ISM Adamo range. They’re specifically designed to prevent said bits from going numb.

paton
    Free Member
    Fagus
    Free Member

doesn’t have to be nose down molgrips – but your weight shuld be on the sit bones. I have my saddles nose up and no weight on my perineum even on the bike with lowest bars. If I have the saddle nose down I slide forward constantly onto my perineum

Yup. Got my saddle nose up. Not a lot, but if I don’t then I’m constantly sliding forward.

onandon
    Free Member

Could also be down to a front end that’s too long or too low for you.

Saddle discomfort isn’t necessarily caused by the saddle but a biproduct of other factors in the fit.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Just try lowering your saddle a bit, it could well be too high ATM.

teamslug
    Free Member

Smp Hell for me. Tried loads and I can manage a 24hour solo on these. WTB Rocket is nice too. Different widths. I did the measuring sitbones thing and decided on 150mm. Soft and wide but seems to suit esp on hardtail ans roadbike on turbo.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Saddle help,’ is closed to new replies.