Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Saddle height 109% or what else works?
  • Frankenstein
    Free Member

Measured up and used the 109% but added extra 2cm to stop my quads burning and now sprinting.

Feels like too much bend but don’t want the crotch pain from having a too high saddle.

Anybody have any tips for correct leg length?

Might try a bike fit?

RealMan
    Free Member

Bike fit is good. You can also just play around a bit and you find something you’re comfortable with, but no guarantee that it will be correct.

cynic-al
    Free Member

what’s incorrect about something that works?

Oh and quad burn? I think that’s what cycling gives you…irrespective of saddle height.

LabWormy

I have not used this system, it was in the CTC magazine last year, and I liked the logic of measuring your sitting height as it automatically “calibrates” on the sit bones:

CTC Saddle height article

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice.

Cynic Al – I was too low and could travel a mile without
    too much quad burn. Too much knee bend.

Bit higher up and I was able to go faster and do 33 miles easily.

Just a pressure point now. Probably a new saddle.

Bike fit coming up. It’s easy to setup others but I’m useless with myself!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I had a bike fit and found it really useful. Used mike veal at bikedynamics. The wife didn’t fancy spending that sort of money so I put both her cranks at the same position (not 180 degrees apart) so both feet were at the bottom of the stroke at the same time. That stops the hips rocking. Then heel on the pedal. This causes a bit of a bend and stops the knees locking when you move the foot to a pedalling position. We pedal midfoot on flats and ball of the foot (or just behind) on spds.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

get the bike setup on a trainer and get someone else to watch you.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

just had this my self, and after initially thinking id bought a too short seatpost – im now sorted!

i think i now pretty mich have the perfect feel on the saddle, i went from feeling to cramped, then too laid back, then back to somewhere in between those, and now ive found the perfect setup…

what worked for me was – heel on pedal at lowest point of cranks, leg should then be completely straight, then instead of your heel being on the pedal switch it to clipped in or where you ride with flats at the front of foot, your leg should now have a kink in it…..

thats seat height sorted for me anyways…

after that its fore/aft and saddle dip etc…

i found that if i had the seat too far back and dipped at the front it made me squashed and cramped, and too far forward and slightly up at the front it made me bawls ache and i felt to upright…

so for me whats worked, and i felt completely at home the last 2 rides was, seat in the dead centre of the markers (if of course your rails have the markings), so exactly the same amount of markings either side, and saddle more or less parallel to the ground, i even got a spirit level out to check the middle of the saddle was parallel…this has worked an absolute treat for me but its taken about 5 rides to get it right!

also coincedental that my knee over pedal position is exactly right, which some people measure off to start with, just so happens all the little changes ive made have given my knee directly over my spindle at 3 & 9 oclock….

it will take a few times to get it right, i seriously thought id wasted my money on a dropper that was too short but it wasnt it was the fine adjustment of position on the seat post!

climbing now feels pretty much spot on, feel like im not wasting energy, im not cramped, i feel like my legs are using the most power available and my bawls arent aching!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Just had a spin using my new saddle with a cut out section will do a long ride and see how I feel and if needed, go for a bike fit.

joeegg
    Free Member

There are some good American bike fitting videos on YouTube.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Saddle height 109% or what else works?’ is closed to new replies.