• This topic has 21 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Saddle bag recommendations
  • singletrackwil

G’day crew!

First time poster, longtime lurker 🙂

Understand that not everyone uses saddle bags these days, but if you do use them, I’m interested to hear what saddle bags you’ve used and what options you would recommend for mountain biking.

Cheers,

Wil

Saccades
    Free Member

Lezyne loaded – middle size one.

lunge

A tiny Decathlon one. Big enough for a tube, a tyre lever, a multi tool and my inhaler. And not much else at all.

mattyfez

Topeak aero of whatever size you think best.

Well built and don’t look silly, well as non silly as a saddle bag can look, but thats personal preference.

tang
    Free Member

I’ve had loads and currently have a small Arundel one which is ace and very simple. Just ordered a Mack Workshop saddle roll to hold a bit more. Local made to me in the SW and not too pricey.

franksinatra

Wee Cog, beautifully made by cyclists hands in the Tweed Valley.

http://www.weecog.co.uk/

They are not cheap but are lovely things

Spud

A Topeak (medium I think) waterproof one on the CX or SS and an Ortleib on the road bike. Both very good. I prefer the Ortleib though.

scotroutes

I’ve a tiny Ortlieb on the roadie and a big Ortlieb on the tourer. I can recommend both.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I’ve got two, a medium sized expandable Specialized one for the mtb and a small , cheap, simple BTwin one from Decathlon for the road bike which is big enough for a tube,multi tool and puncture repair kit. Both work just fine.

superfli
    Free Member

Leyzene Road Caddy.

Very small and neat. Only big enough for multi tool, levers and possibly, maybe, a tube, but I only use it for multi tool and levers

singletrackwil

Great suggestions guys!

I typically carry a spare tube, tyre levers, multi-tool and CO2 canister, so most of the above suggestions sound like they’ll do that.

Any specific recommendations for something that’s easily moveable from bike-to-bike?

I’m not always heading out with a full backpack full of gear, so it’s nice just to peel a saddle bag off one bike and strap it onto another knowing I’ve got the bare essentials even for a short ride.

DezB
    Free Member

The Topeak QuickClip ones fit onto a plastic adapter that stays on the saddle rails. Get another adapter thing for the other bike… if you can find the quickclip for sale..

freeagent
    Free Member

Small + Medium Topeak bags here.
    Both come with QR brackets so I can swap between bikes pretty easily.
    The small one takes a tube, C02 canister, levers ,etc.
    The larger one will take an extra tube + a few tools for longer days.

matts
    Free Member

Just a Continental one that holds a tube and levers.

iainc

i was recommended, on here, the Arkel one, for my gravel bike :

this one

and it’s been great. I had a wee problem with the drybag and mailed them – they sent me a liner replacement straight away FOC.

Also have the Lezyne Road Caddy on good road bike and it works a treat.

DezB
    Free Member
    FOG

I use the mega cheap Decathlon one that straps on saddle rails (£3-4).
    Because they don’t strap to seat post they work fine on droppers unless you have a huge mudguard or something. They aren’t huge. Just tube, levers and minimini tool. I have also broken the rules by strapping pump to frame which all means I don’t need a pack for short rides and a fairly small one for longer all day rides instead of the polar explorer size I always seemed to have.

RustySpanner

The only one I’ve used that seems of decent quality is this:
    Carradice.

The Topeak ones WILL break after a couple of years.
    The clip, zip or seams will fail.
    Don’t waste your money.

iainc

^^^ I have a brand new unused one of those, Carradice Midi bags – £12 posted if anyone wants it !

Pyro

I use a few on different bikes, two Topeak, one BiKase, but my favourite for fit and looks is a Krieg one. Velcro strapping seems to fit better on the bikes I have than the clippy ones. It’s a good size, fits a 29er tube, CO2 cylinder and head, patch kit, tyre levers, multitool and split link, and looks less boring than most because it has The Cat In The Hat on the outside:)

Krieg USA – Super Strong Cycling Saddle Packs – 10 Custom Designs

sparksmcguff

Carradice (see Rusty spanner’s pick up there) will hold what you carry. I have two one is slightly bigger and will hold some food/spare clothing. Really good, very durable.

iainc

iainc – Member
    ^^^ I have a brand new unused one of those, Carradice Midi bags – £12 posted if anyone wants it !

POSTED 7 HOURS AGO #

Now sold 🙂

Great wee packs, I had one too many and use my Arkel one all time now as like the removable drybag.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Saddle bag recommendations’ is closed to new replies.