Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • saddle bag or rack bag (road/gnarmac not mtb)
  • firestarter
    Free Member

Looking to carry a bit more as my rohloff doesnt quite weigh enough so looking at 2 options but both seem to have pros and cons

Tubus cargo rack and carradice rack back or bagman qr and carradice super c audax

Rack weighs a bit more but thats not and issue as i dont mind and i can in the future at panniers

Bag with support is almost as heavy but can clip off quite easy when not in use. Prob not that often tbh and ive heard saddle bags affect handling less than rack and im also aware ive a heavy rear hub already and it would have the weight further forward.

Cost wise not much in it. Has to be carradice to match my new bar bag 😉

bigblackshed

Frame bag?

amedias
    Free Member

It’s all about the luggage really, what you want to carry etc. the rack is a small weight in comparison, especially if you don’t go for a monster, something light like a Tubus Fly is a good option (or Airy if you’ve got the cash!), it’s light, quite low profile and versatile as can take normal pair of panniers, or a smaller drybag strapped on the top.

Small saddle bags are fine for little loads, but if you find you outgrow it then you’ll be into the realms of bigger drybag style stuff anyway and at that point it’s sometimes nicer to have the option of a rack, especially if you might be using panniers on other days during the week.

Don’t rule out a small porteur style rack and bag at the front, can be very versatile and easier access while on the move, depending on the frame geometry and especially front end/trail it will have very little effect on handling, and in some cases can improve things.

kimi
    Free Member

I’m actually thinking about getting a stoater at the moment but one of the things holding me back is the high trail geometry which I don’t think will respond well to front loading/porteur rack.. which is my preffered method for carting my stuff about.

nedrapier

Delighted with my carradice SQR tour. 5 seconds to clip on/off. When you’re not using the bag, you’ve got a little plastic block on the seatpost, rather than a rack. (and the block only 2 allen bolts ondone to slide it off the bottom of the seatpost)

Had it 4 or 5 years, used daily. Been totally waterproof for me, probably only been out with it for up to an hour in heavy rain, though. keeps the rain off your arse if you’re caught without guards, too.

It does keep the weight high, which affects the handling more than if it was lower. Depends how much you’re out of the saddle. If you’re spinning along it just stays put.

firestarter
    Free Member

I think really something like a alpkit koala would be suitable if im honest as ive other bags for bits and bats and most of the time its gonna be so spare clothes

But i was in a big storm yesterday for about 20 miles and everything was soaked and leaked including my current small alpkit possum but my carradice bar bag was bone dry. And the build quality is swaying me somewhat and tbh the retro style too 😉

Kimi i suppose i can see what you mean but ive never used a front rack. I did look at options but in the end managed to bodge a barbag on with my difficult set up which was my preferred option due to my map fetish .

Barbag bodge

kimi
    Free Member

I actually mailed Shand about it on Friday night wondering if they’d adjust the fork trail a bit for me + a few other little mods. Not sure if they’ll be up for it or not.

With the standard geo I think rear carry will be better, I’d think too much extra weight on the front might make the steering feel a bit wallowy (at least in theory).

firestarter
    Free Member

They do offer custom options mate 😉

kimi
    Free Member

good to know!

shandcycles
    Free Member

Kimi, don’t see any email from you. Email to steven@shandcycles.com and I’ll take a look.

iainc

I have Revelate Pika and Tangle for the cx/tourer but tend to pop on rack and Ortlieb Panniers. Less faff, low weight, no need to tape frame. I guess if I was proper off road I’d use the Revelate kit.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘saddle bag or rack bag (road/gnarmac not mtb)’ is closed to new replies.