Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Saddle bag for commuting?
  • breadcrumb

I have a relatively short commute of no more than 7 miles, however I’m bored of having to carry my lunch and clothes (polo shirt and shorts) in a back pack.

I was thinking of a pannier rack but have started to look at saddle bags now.

Any recommendations for one that’s about the right size and easily removed. The Carradry SQR has caught my eye. Any cheaper alternatives out there?

Thanks.

whitestone
    Free Member

I use an Ortlieb saddle bag. They do three sizes – small/medium/large – the large is about 4 litres in size and I can get waterproof, pump, shirt, underpants, phone, wallet into it without problem. There’s a mount that fixes to the saddle rails so it’s just a case of clipping the bag on and off.

PMK2060

If you are only carrying a small amount of clothing / food I would recommend a frame bag.

cookeaa

I use a cheap Beam rack (£10 off ebay IIRC) just clamped on the seatpost and an 8L Alpkit Airlock extra (under a tenner) which holds my clothes rolled up and some lunch (I leave shoes and shower stuff in the office), I also have a 20L Airlock extra Dual if I need to take more stuff…

I did buy a 13L Airlock taper expecting to use it lashed up under the saddle for commuting and a bit of light touring but I’ve been a little disappointed by it, it really needs a ~£70+ harness to be any use…

Dry bags are good because they keep stuff dry (Shocker), are available in various sizes, can be rolled up nice and tight to keep stable, and most importantly they’re relatively cheap… bungied/clipped on a beam rack or on the bars it’s a pretty efficient way to get stuff to/from work…

Edit:

Here you go:

That image is from Oct 2015 so i’ve been using that setup for at least the last couple of years without issue, that same bag is sat next to me now, it’s looking a bit shabby but it still kept my stuff dry riding in the wet on Wednesday…

cookeaa

Edit 2:

20L bag on the bars of my “Gravel” bike:

Also taken in 2015, if you don’t fancy fitting full panniers and carradice bags seem a bit pricey then Dry bags are the answer IMO…

nbt

do you commute by bike every day? If not then can you not take in clothes by car and leave them in the office? That way you need to carry less on the days you’re on the bike, just swap clean clothes for dirty once a week or so when you drive (or get the bus)

ferrals
    Free Member

Thats what I do, plus take in enough things like apples/bannas/snack bars for the week to minimise what i’m taking on a daily basis

nedrapier

Carradice SQR Slim here. Good. Does a good impression of a mudguard if you’re caught without, too.

gazc
    Free Member

I use a Carradice SQR and have similar commute distance. So far perfect for me over the last 4 years and my girlfriend even used it on a bike packing trip so kills two birds with one stone. Fits shoes, lunch, change of clothes, tube and tools and a lightweight rain jacket in no worries. Usually put my stuff in a thick carrier bag in case of a heavy downpour but its never leaked. Have also strapped one of those fold up rucksacks to the top of it with a bungee to get some shopping home. Think someone in the classifieds is selling one. Probably a few other options nowadays to choose from too.

CraigW
    Free Member

I’d go for a rack, with a racktop bag.
    This one from Lomo looks good, should be plenty of space, and is waterproof. http://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/dry-bike-tail-bag.html

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As per Cookeaa. I use a 5l dry bag to carry a clean shirt, underwear, towel (microfibre one from decathlon), flannel (as previous) and just bungee it to the bars. It’s still barely half full so take trousers too on monday/friday.

Negligible extra weight and nothing to remove for the weekend ride.

Commute’s 25miles each way, not that it makes much difference beyond proving that it’s secure and I’d probably not want to add any extra weight/drag!

Pickers

I used a rack and pannier when I was commuting daily, as that’s what I had in the garage. For 6 or 7 miles it’s a good solution – carrying stuff is what it’s designed for.
    It’s also handy for carrying boxes back when you’ve had stuff delivered to work….

disco_stu
    Free Member

I’ve got a Carradice Nelson with SQR rack, used for commuting pretty much every working day for the past 5 years or so and it’s still going strong – it could do with reproofing at the moment and has 1 or 2 holes in it from me falling off.
    They are a bit pricier than rack/panniers but I’m hoping it will still be going strong in another 5 years. It’s also been called into service for a few bike packing trips.

spyke85
    Free Member

I’m using an 11litre Apidura saddle pack – was using a ruc sac and got fed up of it.

I can fit in lunch, clothes, wallet and phone easily.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I just use a camelbak mule for carrying stuff. Take it in on a Monday with 3 days lunch and a few shirts & underwear, take it home on Wednesday with laundry, in on a Thursday and home on a Friday. Weight is minimal and I don’t even notice it’s there.

I have a small seat pack for tubes, etc.

prawny

Another SQR Slim user here, great bag. Bit heavy though, and not as versatile as a rack and one or two panniers, also you lose the seatpost as a place to mount lights in the winter, I’d love a cyliq fly camera for the back but there’s nowhere I could fit one.

breadcrumb

Some good suggestions here, thanks folk.

I’ve a couple of dry bags kicking about, might see what I can knock up.

I try to ride in everyday, unless I’m riding (MTB) one morning/evening.

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

I’m a SQR Super C user for my commutes too, manages everything I’ve needed to carry including a laptop in my previous commute, as above loss of light mount on seatpost is a pain though. Can get a bit noisy when its completely full too and stuff rattles around in it.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I use a carradice super c saddle pack.

It’s miles better than a bike packing seatpack for that kind of thing as it has structure and genuinely useful pockets on the outside. Easyish to take off but great for leaving on and stuffing stuff in twice a day.

Nothings got wet yet either.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve one of the Carradice SQR bags as well, it’s big enough to handle credit card touring, with what I take now it’s far too big.

There’s been lots of threads on here about commuting – basically leave as much kit as you can at work so you don’t have to take stuff in and out daily. I only have to take shirt, underpants, socks but leave the same at work anyway in case I forget or something gets wet on the commute.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I went with that setup. It works nicely and is light enough, but you do spend a wee bit of time tightening up all the straps and stuff.

I ended up just buying some plastic storage boxes and keeping clothes at work. Get a supermarket delivery of food done at the start of the week.

Stoner
    Free Member

Carradice super c sqr user here on a 3month tour. Very dependable. Bit old fashioned but works fine. These days even if I have to ride 20 miles around London though I use a leather shoulder bag. As the super c is never comfortable carrying off the bike.

tjagain

rack and panniers – best for commuting if you don’t want your stuff all crumpled

piemonster

SQR Slim plus another one.

It’s been brilliant! And no racks when I head off on a winter training ride.

monksie
    Free Member

Does anybody have any experiences of this http://bridgestreet.cc. If I ever get back to work, I was thinking of getting one of these. Different sites means I can’t leave stuff overnight. It all has to be taken too and from.

damascus
    Free Member

I have a vaude Handle bar bag with a klick fix. A frame bag and an ortlieb saddle bag.

For days with less kit I leave the bar bag at home.

When I need to carry kit I always use it. It’s not very aero, looks a bit old man ish but serves a purpose.

Far better than panniers or rucksack and far more accessible and quick release than a roll bag.

breadcrumb

I might try having a back pack Monday when I take food supplies in for the week and then go with a small dry bag for the remainder of the week.

greentricky
    Free Member

Another vote for Sqr slim, great bag

Eddiethegent

Yup, SQR Slim. After five years of daily commuting with a laptop and the occasional credit card tour it’s just getting worn in. It might be pricey and look a little austere but it does the job every time.

rOcKeTdOg

Ortlieb +1 fully waterproof and its amasing the amount of stuff you can get in it

trail_rat
    Free Member

I used a carradice camperlongflap for years until I stopped commuting.

Plenty space for clothes lunch and even some.shoppinbon the way home.

StirlingCrispin

Carradice camperlongflap with SQR fitting.

Been used daily for twenty years.
    I can fit a laptop and clothes in it, or just my lunch.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Saddle bag for commuting?’ is closed to new replies.